HELP! My macbook's cd optical drive isn't working

Reaction score
I have a white 13" macbook (from 2007 I think). Im currently using os x leopard and have bought a cd to update to os x snow leopard. But when I put in the disc, the drive just whirrs a lot then spits the disc back out! I've tried resetting the SMC, but nothing changes.

Theres another weird thing the computer does which I suspect is related - the fan often runs very fast, when all I'm doing is browsing the internet.

Can anyone help? Do I have to replace the optical drive?

I've posted the same question here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3329726?tstart=0

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
First thing to do is power it down and take a can of air - shoot 3-4 quick bursts into the slot and see if that will clean the lens and get it working again.

If you're browsing the net and have a bunch of flash going on (ads or video), the fans are going to be working overtime. But while you're at it, a couple of shots of air into the slot at the hinge wouldn't hurt.

OP
T
Reaction score
First thing to do is power it down and take a can of air - shoot 3-4 quick bursts into the slot and see if that will clean the lens and get it working again.

If you're browsing the net and have a bunch of flash going on (ads or video), the fans are going to be working overtime. But while you're at it, a couple of shots of air into the slot at the hinge wouldn't hurt.

Thanks for the tips. This may sound a bit stupid but where can I get a can of air from?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for the tips. This may sound a bit stupid but where can I get a can of air from?

Radio Shack, Best Buy, Office Depot, Staples, Wal-Mart, Target, and so on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.