iTunes Movie Rentals Claim Not Authorized

Reaction score
I had this problem in Snow Leopard and hoped that it would disappear when I upgraded to Lion, but no such luck. Every time I attempt to watch an iTunes movie rental I am told that my computer is not authorized to play the movie. I attempt to reauthorize and it tells me that your computer is already authorized and that I have 4 out of 5 computer authorized on this account. I try again to play the movie, and just a grey window. The only way I can ever get movie rentals to play is to temporarily stop the movie download, restart the computer, and open iTunes, and then the movie finally plays. I have to do the same thing every time I rent a movie. It would be really nice to not have to restart every time I want to watch a movie. Any suggestions?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't have a for sure fix.

Think I'd try going into your account in iTunes - deauthorize all of your computers - you can only do this once a year - and then reauthorize them individually again.

You'll open iTunes - head for the store - click on your AppleID at the top right side and log in - chead for your Account - in the top section Apple ID Summary, you'll find a button to Deauthorize All.

It seems a strange occurrence that rebooting would allow it to play. Have you got any iTunes plugins you've installed?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.