iPhone WILL NOT Restore in iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" White Macbook, iPod Touch 1g, iPod Touch 2g, Powermac G4 Digital Audio 733Mhz (Running 10.5.x)
OK, So i have my friends iPhone 4, he gave it to me and said it was stuck in recovery mode (which it was), so i took and went to simply restore it in iTunes, and it gave me the ERROR 1013, so my next thought was to delete the Apple server from my host file in Finder (i'm on mac) because i've done this before with other iPhone 4's. This usually fixes the problem. This time it didn't, i keep getting that stupid error :Shouting: ... Somebody PLEASE HELP ME!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Your friend.. did he previously Jailbreak the phone? TinyUmbrella etc?

Doug

OP
pablobtown
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" White Macbook, iPod Touch 1g, iPod Touch 2g, Powermac G4 Digital Audio 733Mhz (Running 10.5.x)
Yeah it was jailbroken, untethered, he didnt know the Firmware or anything, all i know is that i was Jailbroken, and its an iPhone 4 stuck in recovery, ive tried Tiny Umbrella, and recboot, and Reb boot on PC and none of them work, they just kick it out of recovery and it goes right back into it. Is there somethig im missing? because since they all do the same it feels like im making some mistake
P.S Thank you for the quick reply!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Due to which ever method he/she used to jailbreak, this is the cause of the recovery loop. A change may need to be made to a host file.
On Mac:
* Open Finder
* Hold down COMMAND + SHIFT keys and press 'G'
* Enter "/private/etc/" in the field and press "Go"
* Find "hosts" file in the directory
* Drag the file to your desktop
* Open it in text editor
* Remove the line that has gs.apple.com entirely or put a # at the beginning of it to comment it out
* Save the file
* Drag it back to the /private/etc/ folder.
* You'd need to enter your username and password to authenticate the move

On Windows:

* Locate the hosts file in one of the following directories:
Windows 95/98/Me c:\windows\hosts
Windows NT/2000/XP Pro c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Windows XP, Vista, 7 c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
* Right click and click on "Open With..." and then click on "Notepad" on the list.
* Remove the line that has gs.apple.com completely and save the file.

This should work fine but you will lose all music, photos, videos and books :S
Try that.

Doug

OP
pablobtown
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I've done that On both a Mac and PC and it still gives me 1013/1015 which ever one I thinks I'll like best. I'm starting to think it's bricked...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If there are any lines which end in ".txt", remove them.

Doug

OP
pablobtown
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok i dont see any line that are .txt files... :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Early 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB
Hm... Try holding the home button whilst plugging it in...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.