Two-week old iBook can't read and burn CD-R any more!

A

AlexN

[solved]Two-week old iBook can't read and burn CD-R any more!

EDIT: Problem solved.

My 2-week old iBook can't read CD-R any more! I even ran Disk Permission repair to see if it helped. It could read and burn CD-R the first week.

I bought this iBook on apple online store. Now the warranty question, do I have to shipped it to Apple? Who is going to pay for the shipping?

...too bad, I've never thought of getting a defective product before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
so it cant read it, but it can burn it?

OP
A

AlexN

iWonder said:
so it cant read it, but it can burn it?

No, it can't read and burn CR-R any more. I inserted the empty CD-R, but it wouldn't mount it. So I reset the iBook, and it gave me an error message "The disk you inserted couldn't be read by this computer." when I logged on. I even tried different brands, and tested those disks on my desktop computers.

It was fine the first week...:(

OP
A

AlexN

Any idea why wouldn't it read and burn CD-R disk besides it's defective? I mean it was fine last week.

Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am guessing the CD Drive has problems. Do you have an Apple Store anywhere nearby you could take it to? It's too new to be doing that. Really sounds like a drive failure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
If you need too, go to apple.com, and go to the support part of their website, and submit a "trouble ticket", they will email you back and also ship a box to you, you pack the ibook in it, then send it to them (postage already paid by apple), they in turn send you another ibook (not yours), and fix your old one, and sell it as refurbished. At least thats the way it works with ipods.

OP
A

AlexN

Problem resolved. I changed a setting in CDs & DVDs in system preferences, and now it's back to normal.

Everything is fine now, it works like a champ. :headphone

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just for the record, what was set wrong?

OP
A

AlexN

dtravis7 said:
Just for the record, what was set wrong?

In CDs & DVDs, I set everything to [Ignore], so everytime I put in a DVD movie, or CD music, iDVD or iTune won't pop up. But for blank CD and DVD, it has to be set to [Open in Finder], because blank CD won't mount itself if I set it to [Ignore].

Cheers :headphone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.