Lion and Outlook 2011 Strange Characters in sent mail

Reaction score
Hi,

I've recently installed a fresh build of Lion and Office 2011 standard.

I have an issue where i get odd characters in the sent mail in Outlook 2011. Usually accents over the S character.

It appears to be encoding the mails with iso-8859-2 instead of UTF-8. I only have English US selected.

I've tried defaults "write com.apple.mail NSPreferredMailCharset "UTF-8"" as suggested in older posts but with no luck.

Has anybody got a clue about this as i'm googled out and can't find a solution.

Thanks in advanced.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've tried defaults "write com.apple.mail NSPreferredMailCharset "UTF-8"" as suggested in older posts but with no luck.

That's not going to help because it has nothing to do with Outlook. The only thing I can suggest is run your Font Book Application and have it resolve duplicates and verify fonts. It sounds like it may be a font problem which doesn't surprise me as Office 2011 installs some buggy fonts.

The last resort would be to remove Office 2011 and reinstall but that can be a real pain since Office 2011 does not have a dedicated uninstaller. Also, make sure you have installed SP-3 for Office 2011. Run the Office updater.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I ran FontNuke and the font book app but to no avail. This appears to be an encoding issue. When i select UTF-8 from "Tools - Text encoding" the mails are fine. However there doesn't seem to be a way to make this stick as it always goes back to automatic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.