Mac Security

Reaction score
Hi there!
I am a DJ and I always worry about leaving my Mac unattended.
I have had an idea about how I can keep my laptop safe when unattended and I think the idea is great if someone has actually done this already, in which case I want to buy it.

Basically, the idea is, say if I did need to go to the toilet or do something which meant me leaving my Mac. I would need to it lock everything apart from the music software (Serato) which I use while DJing (I would still need to to play the music). The way in which I imagine this working is to have my mobile phone for example, have the bluetooth switched on and setup some software to link with my phones bluetooth and when I am a certain distance away, the software would then lock the laptop.

Is there something which does this already?

Many thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
Naff,

I know that iTunes still plays music while on screensaver, I don't know about your DJ software though. But maybe try making one of you hot-corners go to screensaver and then make you laptop require password to get out of screensaver.

lock screen: tick require password immediately after screen saver begins under security
hot corners: accessible via Screen saver options pane.

then all you need to do it put the cursor in that corner to lock the computer.

Let us know how it goes
Zigdog

OP
N
Reaction score
Great idea I love it! I never even knew about hot corners because I'm pretty new to Mac. But I'm on the screen saver options and I cannot see a tick box which has anything about requiring a password on wake. Where do I set this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you set you hot corners in screen saver options.
then in security options>general, a different pane accessible from the main system preferences window you can set it to lock.

or use the search function in system preferences to search for 'require password to wake'
sorry about the confusion

Zigdog

OP
N
Reaction score
And that website you have linked me too, that is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for. Nice one buddy thanks for that :D

OP
N
Reaction score
Nice one, and now the hot corners are properly set.
Thanks again bud! You've helped me big time! Now I'm going to test this out at the weekend. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Naff,

No worries. Glad I could help.
Best of luck, and all done in half an hour

Zigdog

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am a DJ and I always worry about leaving my Mac unattended.
I have had an idea about how I can keep my laptop safe when unattended and I think the idea is great if someone has actually done this already, in which case I want to buy it.

I personally would be more worried about someone picking up the entire machine and walking off with it. The suggestions you received above are great but just make sure you lock that machine down physically in addition to protecting the software. ;)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I personally would be more worried about someone picking up the entire machine and walking off with it. The suggestions you received above are great but just make sure you lock that machine down physically in addition to protecting the software. ;)

I was thinking the same thing when I first read the title of the thread. Turns out it was something different after reading it though. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Surely if you are DJ-ing then the machine is presumably plugged into something? So my guess was that it'd be kind of obvious if someone walked off with it, I mean the music would stop? but good thinking chscag.

Zigdog

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.