Still "new" switcher, surprising my wife with "The Switch" tonight: transfer question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
E-2011 MPB 13" i5 2.3GHz 8GB RAM OSX 10.7.1 iPhone 4 iPod Classic 160 GB
Still "new" switcher, surprising my wife with "The Switch" tonight: transfer question

Windows to windows is a straight bluetooth deal. Can a PC transfer to a Mac in such a way? Or should we just drag and drop as needed with files/etc.? I got her the Air, and I KNOW she'll LOVE it, and maybe reciprocate, hubba hubba, but *is only* the 54 KB version, so she'll have to get used to storing less music on it. So, what's the best way. Oh, and she'll be home in an hour and a half to a clean house, a cooked dinner, and a new MB Air. (That means I need an answer(s) FAST!) Don't I rock? Yes, I *do* rock.

:Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I would just drag and drop. Being it you have the Air and space is limited, it would be best to drag what you need when you need it . . .. .. .
That should keep her happy. Someone will be in the good books tonight ;P

Goodluck

Cheers

Reaction score
I just copied folders of files from the PC to an external hard drive to my new iMac. Transferring the iTunes library took several days of careful planning and thank heavens I had two good backups. In fact I did a lot of reading on the net for a couple of weeks, and even then the switch took me a few weeks. Don't rush is my suggestion.

OP
GratefulMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great answers folks thanks for the quick help. Even though I have a 320GB, I like to keep it as empty as possible and dock to my 2TB external as needed, only utilizing 105 GB on my MBP. For *her* purposes, the storage is FAR more than adequate. This will be a work project computer for her, looks like I need to buy her iWork as well!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Great answers folks thanks for the quick help. Even though I have a 320GB, I like to keep it as empty as possible and dock to my 2TB external as needed, only utilizing 105 GB on my MBP. For *her* purposes, the storage is FAR more than adequate. This will be a work project computer for her, looks like I need to buy her iWork as well!

Glad we could help. Now query as to WHY you need to buy iWork ? Is there a specific something that you are looking for ??
Pages, Keynote and Numbers can all be purchased separately via the MAS (Mac App Store). Here in Australia they are $20.99 a piece.
There are also free alternative to Pages and that you could be interested in and that is OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite. Something to consider anyways :)

Cheers

OP
GratefulMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suppose what I like about iWork is the range of pre-made templates, it REALLY speeds things up, they have pretty much all the bases covered.

C

chas_m

In my personal opinion, comparing Open/LibreOffice to Pages is like saying that walking through the desert is "a free alternative" to flying over it in a private jet -- can you tell I'm not a big fan of cubicle-style office work? :) -- but I can't argue with it from a functionality point of view. The free Office alternatives will get the job done -- I'm just too much of a fan of elegance and style to like them (though I have given both Open and Libre a recent try).

C

chas_m

@chas_m, who compared? I didn't see that anywhere.

TattooedMac referred to Libre/Open Office as "a free alternative" to iWork. I am not disagreeing with him, just clarifying that there's a lot of difference -- not just "style" -- between a suite like iWork and an open-source project like OpenOffice.

M

MacInWin

TattooedMac referred to Libre/Open Office as "a free alternative" to iWork. I am not disagreeing with him, just clarifying that there's a lot of difference -- not just "style" -- between a suite like iWork and an open-source project like OpenOffice.
Ah, I see. Well, it's an alternative, and it's free, so it's up to the asker to decide. The good news is Libra/Open can be tested first, without any investment and if it satisfies, all is good. And if it doesn't, Pages will be there in the Store.

I have both, use Libre more than I do Pages, but that's because I had to use Word for so long at my job that learning how to do the same things in Pages always seemed like too much work...and I'm lazy!:Mischievous:

C

chas_m

Ah, I see. Well, it's an alternative, and it's free, so it's up to the asker to decide. The good news is Libra/Open can be tested first, without any investment and if it satisfies, all is good. And if it doesn't, Pages will be there in the Store.

Very true.

I have both, use Libre more than I do Pages, but that's because I had to use Word for so long at my job that learning how to do the same things in Pages always seemed like too much work...and I'm lazy!:Mischievous:

Excellent point.

C

chas_m

That I'm lazy???? LOL!

HA! No, I meant that someone who was productive and used to the Windows version of Office (particularly the older ones) might not have the same issues I have with Open/Libre Office et al.

OP
GratefulMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, the wifey has been using the trial versions of iWork, and as predicted, LOVES them. Guess I'm a-gonna buy 'em. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.