Guest-host electricity usage

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently using Windows 7 but finding it harder every day to resist the lure of Mac. The plan is to save for an iMac.

The main thing holding me back, besides initial outlay and the cost of replacing Windows software, is the one Windows prog that I really, truly cannot and couldn't bear to live without, that there is no suitable alternative for. I run it every day, all day, for work, so need it to run within the OS, ie, not Boot Camp.

The solution is to run a guest Windows within the Mac. I've used Virtualbox a lot in my many short-lived forays into Linux. My main worry is whether it will cost considerably more in electricity over the course of a year to constantly run a guest in a host rather than just running Windows. Also, whether I'll knacker the Mac quicker by doing this.

I've Googled this loads but can't find any info. All I find is the obvious, that it's cheaper to run a guest inside a host than run two separate computers at once.

Probably these questions are really obvious! :Blushing: Thanks in anticipation of a reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I don't understand why you think Bootcamp would not be acceptable it will allow you
to take full advantage of Windows as opposed to a VM unless you are file swapping on the fly. Unless you are running the machine at its full potential doubt you will notice
a current draw.

Reaction score
A MacBook Pro uses an 85W power adapter. Thus, the maximum power it can draw is 85W. This is less than some old light bulbs.

Running a virtual machine will likely use a trivial amount more power, but again, the max wattage of a MacBook Pro power adapter is 85W.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks! I don't want to use Bootcamp, because that means I'd be permanently in Windows and wouldn't ever boot into Mac. As I say, I use my program all day every day. In order to use Mac for other apps/internet, I'd have to continually boot between the two all day, and that would be too much hassle.

If a virtual machine uses only a trivial amount of power, that's fine. I'm not worried about a lag in performance. It's more DTP and WP that I need Mac/Windows for, rather than entertainment. Such programs have always run fine in VB on Linux distros on my ancient PC.

I'll start saving the pennies for a shiny iMAC ...

C

chas_m

Should we ask what sort of program this is? You're absolutely certain there isn't a Mac equivalent, version or superior alternative?

Sorry to ask, but in my experience about 95 percent of the time people tell me there's no Mac alternative to what they are looking for, I find one with a simple Google search that is usually either from the same company (!) or an alternative that is cheaper AND better. There are, obviously, some cases where that's not true -- but you'd be surprised how many people think there's nothing like Microsoft Office (or name another commonly used program) for the Mac! It makes me laugh sometimes.

OP
S
Reaction score
It's Liquid Story Binder. I know about Scrivener and have played around with the Mac version. It has an ultra loyal following, but IMHO it's nowhere near as functional as LSB. I've researched all the Mac writers' programs. Some are excellent, but there aren't any all-in-one programs like LSB. Not to mention that it took me literally months of shifting my research into the program. Plus LSB uses DAT files, which would be a grief to convert (if possible) to another format. There are quite a few Win programs I'd miss, but I understand that most are easily replaceable - just not this one! :)

C

chas_m

Sounds like a legit reason to me. Will it run in CrossOver, I wonder?

Also, and please don't take this too seriously, but I do have to question the wisdom of putting one's life's work into such a non-standard format. If LSB went away tomorrow, what would you do? I'm not saying don't use it, I'm suggesting that future-proofing important data as much as possible is always a good idea.

OP
S
Reaction score
You're right, Chas, but it's covered. I compile my research/scenes in what LSB calls a Builder (the dat file I was talking about). Once completed, you covert the Builder into a Chapter, which is rtf. There's no way I'd risk losing all the hard work. ;) The point of the Builder is that you can see each scene/subtopic on its own but within its unit.

Tried LSB in Crossover Linux. Like most programs besides the really popular ones, it wasn't too hot. Plus, it's a pain when the various programs (Crossover, Wine, the bottle program) update, and you have to get everything working again.

C

chas_m

You're right, Chas, but it's covered. I compile my research/scenes in what LSB calls a Builder (the dat file I was talking about). Once completed, you covert the Builder into a Chapter, which is rtf.

Ah. Okay, cool.

Tried LSB in Crossover Linux. Like most programs besides the really popular ones, it wasn't too hot. Plus, it's a pain when the various programs (Crossover, Wine, the bottle program) update, and you have to get everything working again.

Amen to THAT!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.