Major issue with Outlook 2011 on OSX

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to advise a friend who's having a major headache with Outlook 2011. He's a recent switcher, having made the move to OSX on my recommendation. He's now running Lion, as of the end of July.

He runs a small business with a partner, and has several years and gigabytes worth of email (in the form of PST files) from many years of Outlook on PC.

He wants to be able to view all his old correspondence on his MacBookPro (15") and Outlook is now of course able to import PST files into Office 2011 for Mac, something which Entourage couldn't do.

For reasons that escape me, he had the old emails in the form of several PST files, rather than one big one, and he has slowly and surely imported them all into Outlook 2011 on his Mac. And it doesn't really work.

It's incredibly slow, for one thing, and now, every time he tries to move an email into a different folder, it crashes, then hangs, and he has to ForceClose it, and then reopen Outlook which takes ages.

Any ideas? Is there a scanpst tool (which comes with Outlook on the PC) equivalent to help repair Outlook 2011 data files? Is there any other way of scanning for and hopefully repairing corruption in Outlook 2011's data files?
They're stored in the Database file, right?

He's getting desperate, I hope somebody can help!.

Many thanks.
D.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Entourage stored everything in a single database file, but Outlook keeps each message stored individually, and then keeps a small database tracking the file locations. He can launch Outlook while holding the Option key down and rebuild the database. Also, MS just released an update to Office 2011 today, bringing it up to version 14.1.3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
IT also sounds like he needs to do some basic maintenance, as well as (as EvenStranger says, update to the latest release).

Do as EvenStranger says as well as run a permissions repair with Disk Utility and that should start to make things run smoother

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.