Real Player

Reaction score
Would anyone have an advice on installing Real Player with regards to avoiding all stuff that is not necessary ? When I went to download there were a few options I didn't quite understand.I only want it for our local radio station which uses it or Windows Media and so don't want to download a load of stuff never needed.thank you again

C

chas_m

These days I can't think of a good reason to download Real Player. Thanks to Flip4Mac WMV Player and Perian you can use the Windows Media stream and it will work fine in most cases.

If you want to install Real Player, I have the latest version installed and have no issues with it. I would advise you to go through MacUpdate to find the "free" version, as the Real website itself DELIBERATELY obscures the no-obligation free version in the hopes that you'll be suckered into the paid version. That's their business model, seriously.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks Chas m.My knowledge of computers was sketchy to put it mildly before buying a Mac and I must say that although I have a bit wrecked after four or five days of learning curve, I can see already why people raved about Macs.I have read your essay and thank you for that.I am a bit lost on how the Flip4Mac would take over from Real in bringing in the radio station.The station calls for either Real or Windows Media to receive the broadcast and I was wondering does Flip4Mac just automatically take over from it.As you say in your essay, I don't want to run around loading all these unnecessary programs.I did all that with the PC and made a mess of it.Thanks again

C

chas_m

I am a bit lost on how the Flip4Mac would take over from Real in bringing in the radio station.

It doesn't. Real only works with Real, that's why most Mac users loathe it (well, that and their deceptive marketing, etc). Flip4Mac WMV Player (aka Windows Media Components for QuickTime) enables the *Windows Media* stream to function normally on a Mac (via QuickTime). Think of it as a Windows Media plug-in for QuickTime, because that's what it is.

I would certainly drop a note to the station that both Mac and PC users largely use iTunes, not WiMP, these days and that they could serve that stream to more users more cheaply by switching to streaming MP3 or AAC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.