MBP replace optical drive with SSD? :)

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Brand spanking new to the forum and excited to be part of the community.

I have the 15" MBP, and am wondering if it's possible to put a 2.5" drive in place of the optical drive. I never use it, and would love to get another 750gigs in here. I know the physical sizes are different, but maybe I can hack something together to hold it in place?

I know...crazy stupid idea :)

Thanks,
Brian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have the 15" MBP, and am wondering if it's possible to put a 2.5" drive in place of the optical drive. I never use it, and would love to get another 750gigs in here. I know the physical sizes are different, but maybe I can hack something together to hold it in place?

I know...crazy stupid idea :)

Not even close to a "crazy-stupid idea"!;)

Here's what one of our other members is currently in the process of doing (you can thank "idrinorbarsaku");):

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sc...finally-started-showing-up-d.html#post1296365

Look over the entire thread...but the specific post I linked shows the photos of the project you may be most interested in.:)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Not even close to a "crazy-stupid idea"!;)

Here's what one of our other members is currently in the process of doing (you can thank "idrinorbarsaku");):

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sc...finally-started-showing-up-d.html#post1296365

Look over the entire thread...but the specific post I linked shows the photos of the project you may be most interested in.:)

- Nick

Thanks Nick! I can't wait and have to do this! The photos are great, though I wish there was some explanation breaking down the steps...or a youtube video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
I used the OWC drive doubler to replace the optical drive on my 15 inch MacPro with a 500GB Momentus drive. Worked fine and their video explained all the steps.

OP
C
Reaction score
I replaced the optical with a 640gig WD drive, and am having two issues.

1 - When I have my DVD drive plugged in through USB, it seems to playback pretty choppy, freezing every 5 seconds or so.

2 - I rarely am accessing this new 2nd drive I put in, and I think it sort of goes to sleep, then every 11 minutes I hear it wake up, spin, and be read from before it goes quiet.

Ideas? :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17'' late 2010, core i7 2.66, 4 Gb ram
screenshot20110930at125.png

Uncheck "Put hard disk(s) to sleep when possible".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.