Broken LCD and HDD

Reaction score
Hello everyone, recently my macbook 13" 2010 model (white) took a tumble while open and the LCD severly cracked and just shows some white blobs every once in awhile. I also noticed that the HDD was clicking when it was spinning. I have the TV cable and tried to boot but it would show the apple and the spin and then proceed to do nothing. I removed the HDD and tried it in an external case but found out that it was unsalvageable. I did not attempt to see what the screen would produce if i started it up without the HDD, because i was a little frustrated at the time lol. My question is will the laptop go through the install motions without a HDD if the recovery CD is in, and if it does, and i get nothing on my screen am I to assume that the motherboard is cracked? Any help would be great. Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You already mentioned that your hard drive is broken...and your LCD display is severely cracked...thus both parts are no good.

What would you be trying to accomplish booting from a CD/DVD?

If you're trying to determine if the logic board is serviceable...do you have an external monitor plugged in to your MacBook (so you can see what's going on)...since the MacBook's display sounds like it's not working.

And if you have the original disks that came with your computer...why not just try to boot from them rather than delay things by waiting for an answer?? Just do it!;)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Yes i do have the connection for the monitor, but the question i guess iw as trying to ask would be if the hard drive is completly out of the laptop could i still turn it on and have some screen activity. Yes, I still have all the disks that came with it. And am I to assume that if nothing shows up on the display that the logicboard is gone? I'm a new apple user, which is why i ask. My experience in apple land is very limited. Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes i do have the connection for the monitor, but the question i guess iw as trying to ask would be if the hard drive is completly out of the laptop could i still turn it on and have some screen activity.

Just do it! It sounds like you've already turned your computer on at least once after the fall...so you'll do no additional harm trying to boot from the DVD.

Just pop the DVD into the drive, hold down the "c" key...and see what happens.

- Nick

p.s. You may or may not see anything on your external monitor...since your computer may still be trying to display everything on the built-in monitor. You may need to adjust your "Display" preferences to see things on the external monitor.

OP
B
Reaction score
lol just did it...the apple will boot the os from the disk, but it looks like its on extended monitor and all i see is the star background picture associated with apple lol I cant change the display resolution because nothing is happening on the screen, I get a mouse pointer, which i can move, but the applications I believe are on the monitor itself, which is shot completely. Thanks again Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
New HDD and new screen

are in order. Then tell us how the OS reinstall went for you. Hope your Time Machine is up to date.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...I get a mouse pointer, which i can move, but the applications I believe are on the monitor itself, which is shot completely. Thanks again Nick

This is why I mentioned that you need to get to your "Display Preferences" so you can make your external display the "main" display (and not the MacBooks internal display).

What you can do is try to run your MacBook in "Clamshell mode" using your external monitor (going to need an external keyboard & mouse as well):

Apple Portables: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display

By the way. Don't forget that you have no "applications" on your computer (other than the apps. you have access to via the OS DVD)...because your hard drive is busted.

So basically at this point you MINIMALLY need a new hard drive to install an OS and apps. on. In the short-term you can use your MacBook in "clamshell mode" with an external display...but eventually you may want to replace the display so you can truly have the portability of a laptop.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Pigoo can u use a bt apple keyboard and mouse in clamshell mode? Or do they need to be wired? Not trying to take over the thread sorry just curious

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pigoo can u use a bt apple keyboard and mouse in clamshell mode? Or do they need to be wired? Not trying to take over the thread sorry just curious

Yes you can. The procedure to use a bluetooth keyboard & mouse with an Apple laptop in clamshell mode is explained in the link above.

But...(as a note for the OP)...you need to have your laptops display working so that all appropriate bluetooth preference settings are properly set before using an external bluetooth keyboard & mouse with a laptop in clamshell mode. So for the OP (in case you were thinking of using bluetooth)...you would probably be better using a wired keyboard & mouse.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Hard Drive replaced and still no luck. Can't get the outside display to become the main display. Appears as if an LCD swap is in the works. Thanks for the help.

OP
B
Reaction score
Correction, No swap required right now. Thanks for the help Nick, as I write this from my macbook which is operational :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.