Poor video streaming and download speed on Mac

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am on a WLAN connection and have recently been having a problem streaming video on my 13-inch 2008 MacBook (mostly from Bloomberg.com). The videos I try to play will stop to buffer quite frequently. My other devices are unaffected however, and YouTube streams smoothly too, even in HD.

Here is a link to a speed test I have conducted on my MacBook. My other devices have been giving more or less the same reading.

1473755312.png

Obviously this is not due to a low connection speed. I am deducing it's an issue with my MacBook because as I said my other devices are unaffected and stream the video smoothly without any trouble. So is anyone sure why this is happening?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Xeon 6gb DDR2 1TB OSX Server
Are your other machines using WiFi or ethernet? What you can do for now is try plugging in ethernet to your macbook and see if the connection is the same or improves.

OP
S
Reaction score
Are your other machines using WiFi or ethernet? What you can do for now is try plugging in ethernet to your macbook and see if the connection is the same or improves.

I tried that, videos still buffer. Even the speed test gives the same result.

I was thinking maybe its their server not you

Only it works fine on my other devices. Do you mean the server is biased against Macs or something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Without more info did you update your plugins ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Safari > Help > Installed plug-ins ( are these current )

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.