Problem with Mac OSX 10.4.11 / iTunes and iPhone4?

Reaction score
Hello everyone
First post here so firstly Hello to everyone!
I am in need of some help. I am a Windows user who has barely any experience with Mac's, my problem is as follows :

My friend has upgraded to an iPhone 4, he was previously using an iPhone 3G. He is trying to Sync everything from his iPhone3G (Photos, contacts, media etc) that was previously also on iTunes onto his new iPhone 4. He is running a Powermac G5 7.2 on OS X 10.4.11 and at this moment in time is using iTunes 9 (xxx)

As soon as the iPhone 4 is detected the Mac says that it is only compatible with iTunes 10.1 and above. When we go to the iTunes download page to upgrade to the new version we are unable to do so as the latest version of iTunes is only available to users running MacOS 10.5 and above.

What are the options here? Will we have to upgrade the Operating System of the Mac??

Is it possible to download a previous version of iTunes that will work with the OS X my friend has?? (I.e. 10.1 / 10.2 / 10.3 etc) On the iTunes download page there is no option to download any previous versions but they must be in existence somewhere... if this is an option, what would be the best version and where can it be found?

We would really like to avoid the prospect of buying a new OS and having to re-install everything from scratch if it can be avoided

If this is the case could someone please recommend an upgrade for the G5 7.2, and tell me where I can get one?

As I said earlier I have no experience with Mac's so I apologise if any of my comments have came across as ignorant.

Thanks in Advance
Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
You need to buy the retail version of 10.5 Leopard. Try Amazon and eBay.
You will be able to do an upgrade install - you don't have to do all the software installs.
Installing Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
"By default, the installer will upgrade your currently-installed version of Mac OS X to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.