Spilled tea on macbook keyboard

Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago I spilled tea all over my macbook keyboard. Macbook is not even a year old. Macbook was running did not turn it off (very stupid I know). Anyways that night it stopped turning on.I took apart the back case and let everything dry. Got all the tools to open it.

Last week it started turning on. It always turns on with the power button most of the keys do not work....if you press the volume key the macbook turns off. Graphics are fine, speakers are fine and HD is fine.

I am thinking I need a new keyboard? Where is best place to get one. And I did not get a "Spudger". What alternative can I use?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, please read out Sticky Notice at the top of this forum regarding spills.

Tea is nasty because it contains an acid base and can cause corrosion over time. It's possible that replacing the keyboard may be all that you need to do, but from experience hearing from other spill victims, it usually doesn't end there. Damage to the logic board (which sits right below the keyboard assembly can occur over time.

Make sure you strip the machine down to the logic board and get every bit of tea cleaned up. See the take apart instructions at iFixit: The free repair manual. They also sell specialized tools that you might need. Good luck and hopefully your MB will survive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
And get a

Keyboard protector for the new keyboard. Best $2.98 I ever spent at Amazon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.