Macbook Pro 13 Inch VS Macbook Air 11 Inch for Maya and 3D Software

Reaction score
Hi , i was wondering if there were any users that could tell me if i Should get the Macbook Air 11 inch with 4gb RAM and 128 SSD Over the Macbook Pro with 4 Gb Ram and 320gb hard drive they both i5's the air is at 1.6 and pro at 2.3Ghz i think.

I Have a Budget of around £870 And i know i can get both new on ebay with the apple warranty for around 850 , i know these sellers are great as i have dealt with them multiple times with other products.

I Will be Buying one of the two Next Month as i have just started a Animation Course that focuses on Using the Program Maya, and i would like to know for the price which would perform better for Maya and general use as well as word editing.

I Have no need for a Apple desktop as i have a gaming PC which does the Job Fine.

If Any anyone could help, i would appreciate it a lot , Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Both machines use the same graphics processor - an Intel HD 3000 integrated GPU. The Air can only be upgraded to 4 GB of system memory which means the HD 3000 will only use 384 MB for itself. Smaller display and no optical drive. SSD with limited space.

The MBP 13" has a larger screen, optical drive, can be upgraded to 8 GB of system memory which means the HD 3000 will use 512 MB of memory for graphics. Larger but slower HD. The MBP 13" can be fitted with an SSD if you prefer - and actually add a second hard drive if you do not need the optical drive.

Your choice. I know which one I would buy. :)

OP
W
Reaction score
Any 3D Program Users have any opinions im thinking about getting the Pro so far :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
So far as I can tell, NO Mac with Intel graphics is supported under the current version of Maya. The Intel graphics chip is a basic consumer GPU which is not at all suited to a professional 3D application like Maya.

I would check with Autodesk before purchasing any laptop to run Maya..

OP
W
Reaction score
has anyone had any experience with the Integrated HD 3000 Graphics with Maya? i have sent an email to Autodesk waiting on their reply if not i will look for the 2010 model with the Nvidia Chip :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let us know what Autodesk says but you might also consider digging a bit deeper in your wallet and spring for a 15" MBP. I know it's quite a jump in price but IMO it would be money well spent.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.