I think my Java isn't working

Reaction score
Heyy guys i really need help. My problem is that on my MacbookPro on OS X Lion i think my Java is messed up. I think this because on youtube, all of the ads that they display before some videos are very laggy (they are not smooth, they show up in frames). Also, for some of you that might now, Minecraft is a java game and for some reason, when the game tries to load, i get a black screen. I tried to clear the minecraft for minecraft and tried to update java, but still no luck.

Thank You!
-Tyron1995

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
YouTube doesn't use Java - the player is designed to make use of the Flash plugin. If you're experiencing issues with YouTube and Minecraft (which, as you pointed out, does use Java), you've got to separate issues.

For Flash, try another browser as a start. Some browsers tend to work with some plugins better than others. For instance, on my machine, Silverlight works 2x better with Safari than it does with any other browser. If the issue is limited to only one browser, we can assume that it's one of those odd browser specific issues.

As for Minecraft, make sure you do have Java installed. Unlike Snow Leopard, Java is not included with Lion. If you do have installed, do a quick search on the forums - there have been a few people complaining about issues with Minecraft on Lion lately.

OP
T
Reaction score
YouTube doesn't use Java - the player is designed to make use of the Flash plugin. If you're experiencing issues with YouTube and Minecraft (which, as you pointed out, does use Java), you've got to separate issues.

For Flash, try another browser as a start. Some browsers tend to work with some plugins better than others. For instance, on my machine, Silverlight works 2x better with Safari than it does with any other browser. If the issue is limited to only one browser, we can assume that it's one of those odd browser specific issues.

As for Minecraft, make sure you do have Java installed. Unlike Snow Leopard, Java is not included with Lion. If you do have installed, do a quick search on the forums - there have been a few people complaining about issues with Minecraft on Lion lately.
thanks for the reply! Still though, i just installed firefox to test it out and the advertisements are very slow. I have no clue why.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If it's only the advertisements, it could very well be that the video is still loading since the ad is the first thing to show up. And, truly, if it's ads, who cares? ;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And in Lion, even after you install Java, it is not auto enabled in browsers. You need to head for Applications / Utilities / Java Preferences and put a check in the top item on the General tab.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was for me. I didn't have to touch anything (or perhaps I'm losing my mind, who knows). It's worth a check regardless.

OP
T
Reaction score
If it's only the advertisements, it could very well be that the video is still loading since the ad is the first thing to show up. And, truly, if it's ads, who cares? ;)

nah, i dont think so and lol i dont its just annoying :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.