Superdrive replacement. Can be done?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,1
I have a MacBook Pro 17 C2D 2,33 late 2006. My superdrive is not working properly. So I have tried to change it. I have found a Toshiba-Samsung Ts-T632A/SIBH DVD writer, I connected it and ... nothing. The computer does not recognize the drive. In the "about this Mac" menu nothing is listed under the ATA tab. Is it futile to try to use it as an internal drive or I can do something about it? Is any other , not Apple branded, drive that I can use?
Thank you
P.S. This is my first post. Glad to be here.:Blushing:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,1
Thank you for your reply. Do you know what is the reason this can not be done?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thank you for your reply. Do you know what is the reason this can not be done?

You mean why your Toshiba drive is not supported? Apple only supports a limited range of Optical drives in OSX. I don't think Apple uses Toshiba optical drives, thus no support.

The URL Pigoo gave will do it for you. You can use external USB drives but be sure they are supported by OSX.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,1
But do you know how this is implemented? I mean there is something in the firmware or has it to do with master/slave configuration? I thought that all ATA drives follow the same protocols and they are fully interchangeable. Obviously this is not the case. So how do they do it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.