• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Need PC suggestions! :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)
I am looking for a new computer for my grandparents. Unfortunanly i am unable to get them a macintosh because of one program my grandpa runs on the PC. He uses Farm Works to keep track of all the farm stuff and i cant find anything that would do the same for mac so... He will be sticking with windows for now.

So he said that he has a budget of about $1,000 and i need some suggestions on PC to look for. So what is the best for that money??

I might be able to convince him to let me build one but i have never actually put a who computer together before and i would hate to **** something up and not be able to fix it. I have done HD, RAM, video cards and that kind of stuff but i have never built one from the ground up.

So what do you guys/gals suggest??

Thanks

S

sursuciofla

prostuff1 said:
I am looking for a new computer for my grandparents. Unfortunanly i am unable to get them a macintosh because of one program my grandpa runs on the PC. He uses Farm Works to keep track of all the farm stuff and i cant find anything that would do the same for mac so... He will be sticking with windows for now.

So he said that he has a budget of about $1,000 and i need some suggestions on PC to look for. So what is the best for that money??

I might be able to convince him to let me build one but i have never actually put a who computer together before and i would hate to **** something up and not be able to fix it. I have done HD, RAM, video cards and that kind of stuff but i have never built one from the ground up.

So what do you guys/gals suggest??

Thanks

Buy Virtual PC it will run Windows programs. Then you can still get that Mac. There are also a lot of bto PCs out there it just depends on what you are looking at wanting on the computer as far as hardware.

Reaction score
Virtual PC is horrible, way too expensive and runs so slow. Just find a pre-made system with an LCD. Building it nice if you are wanting a really high end gaming system, but you can't beat the value that Dell/HP/Gateway can provide in their low end bundle systems.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)
Yeah i know about VPC but... i dont know. Guess i can look into it.

He is looking for a computer that will run Farmworks, internet, and some normal stuff, that is about it. It does not have to be anything to fancy.

He needs Computer, screen, keyboard and all. Should i be looking at one with AMD or intel. he wont be doing any gaming on it but... if i can get a decent one i might ;)

Thanks for the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
yeah, I'd do that. I'd probably get him 512MBs of ram to start

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, well here is what i did on Dells Site

If you want to look at it just click on print summary and it should give a better list to look at.

That is just looking around, still need to do some more searching.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
prostuff1 said:
ok, well here is what i did on Dells Site

If you want to look at it just click on print summary and it should give a better list to look at.

That is just looking around, still need to do some more searching.

we can't see what you did from that link. It just shows the default (bottom of the line) options for everything. Like when you loaded the page for the 1st time

Reaction score
definately a dell

if you want a laptop, dell has a full line of laptops for under $1,000. I have a dell laptop and i use it for my mortgage business. i wanted something light for portability, but you can spend less for a little heavier/slower computer.

i am not happy with dell's printers though. even if they offer you one for free, it sucks as you can only buy the refills from them and have them shipped to you.

if they are doing one program and general email, surfing, etc, then the dell laptop is a pretty good deal. there may be other good deals, but i have had no problems with it.

for a desktop, i would suggest dell, gateway or just go to compusa and get one there.

good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.