Using wi-fi at college

M

marilyn29

So I took my Powerbook to one of the guys who sets up the wi-fi thing at college and he said it's not available for Macs.. I find this hard to believe, probably more like he doesn't know how to do it, is there a general rule for this? Like maybe I can do it myself if he tells me the information? Is it that different from Windows?? My computer does detect a network at college, so it's not that. Thanks.

OP
S

sursuciofla

marilyn29 said:
So I took my Powerbook to one of the guys who sets up the wi-fi thing at college and he said it's not available for Macs.. I find this hard to believe, probably more like he doesn't know how to do it, is there a general rule for this? Like maybe I can do it myself if he tells me the information? Is it that different from Windows?? My computer does detect a network at college, so it's not that. Thanks.

You just need the network info, but usually they just don't give that info out but they should set you up. I wouldn't call him stupid but he definately just doesn't know Macs and I think it is no different from Windows. I actually find it easier to setup on a Mac. I think you should find another IT guy or gal at your school to set it up. Where I work they got the head of IT to set mine up on the network in my building. Some places on a college campus don't allow access for students though. You just have to check it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.