• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Recording Streaming online Video

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!
This is my first post. Im not too tech savvy but hopefully I can also answer posts from other users. I'm a new mac user and loving it! So to get to it, this is my problem:

im a student, and I have lectures available on mediasite. The problem is, that our school will not let us view these off campus and it would be really nice to be able to record these lectures. Im gonna post a sample link to one of the lectures (im hoping this is legal :p) I can open this in the network source of VLC and get it to play. Using the saving features of VLC does not work, however, so it still is only a stream. Furthermore, this is really only part of the lectures from mediasite - the video recorded part. The slides and other media the professor uses I dont know how to get. I was thinking handbrake or maybe a paid program might be able to help me - but I would need some howto's and steps/ program names if anyone would be so kind.

Link: Lecture

I really appreciate everyone's help!!!!!

PS - this is unrelated but how come silverlight does not have all the functionality when played in mac as opposed to PC? There are plugins for firefox on pcs but not for mac which is weird. Internet explorer though works perfectly on pc and gives you the added features I cant get, such as increasing the speed of the lecture.

Again thank you everyone!

EDIT: I reread my post and I think the caffeine withdraw made it a bit confusing. Just to clearify:

1. Knowing that the link works in the vlc network source, and VLC will not save it - is there any other programs that I can paste that link (or similar ones) into and have it record it into a video format for me and save it to my computer?

2. Mediasite help:
1. Is there a way to get the "increase speed" functionality to use in a native mac browser?

2. Does anyone know how to get the full links of mediasite (with silverlight) from the web-browser mediasite is streamed in (IE the video as well as slides/supplemental video)?

Thank you all again, and know that I really really appreciate your advice on this. I know a lot of people at my college have the same question (im sure other mediasite users as well), and I could not find a web article about this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.