Problem restoring itunes library

Reaction score
I recently had to delete my entire itunes library, to make room on my computer for a video project I had been assigned for my company. I backed up my computer before deleting the library, then left it alone. Now that the project is over, I went back to the external hard drive and went to put my itunes back in, only to find that the backup had made a duplicate of every single song in my library. Now, instead of 7,000 songs, I had 14,000, which wouldn't fit on my computer. Is there any way to move these songs back onto my itunes without having to go through and manually select each single song I want?

Mac OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard
Itunes 10.4.1
WD Smartware External Hard Drive
The copied files all have a "1" in them

EX: "Let it Be" -The Beatles
"Let it Be 1"- The Beatles
and they're both in the same artist file under "itunes music" in the backup

thank you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Copy the entire library over including the dupes. Then use this to remove the dupes. Make sure you keep your backup until you're certain things are back to normal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.