how to backup littlesnapper

Reaction score
Hi

I got littlesnapper, I have added image and I just need to understand how the file system works.

I added an image from my desktop to little snapper, then when I deleted the image from desktop, the image in littlesnapper is still there,
Is that image stored anywhere on the computer, how can I backup these images (just in-case I need to uninstall littlesnapper for example)

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved. Not a subject for the "Switcher" forum.

I've not used LittleSnapper but I imagine it keeps its own data base of the images you captured. Which is why when deleting from the desktop, the image remains stored. If you need to back them up, copy the images to another folder such as /Users/your user name/Pictures.

OP
A
Reaction score
thanks for you help

I just found that they are stored as one file (username.Islibrary) in username/application support/LittleSnapper/user.Islibrary

Can someone explain how is this possible: that all these images are stored in one single file? or at least I'm I right I believing that the images do not exist anywhere else apart from in that file

thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, that's correct, it's a library file. iPhoto stores photos in the same manner. I have never used LittleSnapper but I'm thinking you can double click on the library file to open it and move or copy the images one by one. Try that and see if it works.

OP
A
Reaction score
:) I tried to move it from the original location and to desktop, when I opened littlesnapper it was blank, so i was able to start from scratch. Then when I restored the main file back, all my images came on.
- for what it's worth I thought that was cool :)

From what you are saying about iPhoto, can I assume this type of storage might be "the norm" for mac applications; or does it depend on the application.

Thanks for your help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From what you are saying about iPhoto, can I assume this type of storage might be "the norm" for mac applications; or does it depend on the application.

It depends on the application. Most Mac applications store files and folders the same way as do Windows programs. Of course you have to get used the Unix file structure system and get a feel for where things are stored, but you'll find it's not that different.

iPhoto is an application that you either love or hate. It has its zealous supporters and those who prefer using something else.

OP
A
Reaction score
I am sure there is much to discover on macs, but so far (three days) I have not found any mayor problems with using it and I am loving the feel and the programs I used so far.
I have not used iPhoto yet so I don't know what to think of it - I'll try it out now

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.