internet shows via dial up connection?

Reaction score
Ok..... So I'm going to admit.. I'm addicted to two tv shows that have been cancelled. But prospect park has picked them up and will be showing them online. I will be moving this fall to a place where i will not be able to get unlimited high speed internet. My internet choices are dial up or verizon and we all know how limited verizon is with their caps. There is no way I can download an hour show with the caps they have on their service.
I've just started to research these "black boxes" one by roku where you can stream movies/shows to your tv off your computer. Is there any possible way to use these using dial up? I know it will be slow but anyone have any idea how slow or if it's even a possibility??

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You cannot stream anything through dial-up..just not going to happen..even if you could get up to 56k or faster..there is absolutely no bandwidth there..even if you were to try to download the entire show and THEN stream it..it'll take forever to download..days perhaps..

What kind of caps does Verizon have where you are moving and have you seen how much data you ARE using?

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
:( that's what I was afraid of. The cap for verizon for the middle of the road package is 5GB. Right now I am keeping track of what I use. So far my average is 2GB and that is only doing emails and message boards, internet surfing. NO video watching. Maybe one youtube every now and then. Those eat up data.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow..5GB limit huh..that's pretty bad..this is just going to get worse I imagine as everyone is coming up with things on the cloud..which amazingly means you have the data on your Internet connection to get to it..

On my Comcast account..I've used the following so far:
June - 23GB
July - 48GB
August - 42GB

I'm already up to 15GB in September..I do a lot of email, streaming music, watching various videos on line and other things..we use the Internet as the enabler that it is..I don't stream movies or anything like that yet..but if I did I could totally see me reaching the 250GB limit that Comcast has on my account..

5GB will get you absolutely nothing these days, that's just dumb!

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
yeah, it's pitiful!! I'm so stressed already about the move and now internet stress! I've never lived anywhere where I can't get high speed internet. No cable available. I don't have cable access now where I live but we have a local wireless company that runs off towers and it's a great company. High speed, unlimited, and rarely have any problems with it.
I checked into hughes net and what a joke that is. Very expensive, limited caps (so that doesn't help) and their help is in India. I refuse to deal with a company that doesn't employ American workers.
the area I will be living in ONLY supports verizon. I checked into T mobile, AT&T, sprint. None of them are in that specific area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
You might have to get creative. One company I worked with had a T1 coming into the main building, but no connectivity coming to two other satellite offices. We set up Yagi style antennas between the buildings to provide a wireless connection between the three buildings. The farthest building was a half-mile away but I've seen reports of up to 30,000 feet. Perhaps you could find a friend with high speed willing to split the cost and set up a line of sight connection with you.

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
HOLY COW!!! That's high usage. I know music eats alot of data. I'm on my computer pretty much all day off and on. Mostly just a few emails but alot of social networking. And that doesn't use much at all. I don't do any music. Yeah, I feel pretty ripped off with these ridiculous caps that alot of companies are putting on. Like 5GB!! And then charge 50.00 for it. Can we say - BEND OVER!
I think we're the only house that is in this pickle. I'm going to check with the neighbor above us and see what they have and what they are doing. There are not very many neighbors around - it's VERY rural with NO towers near by. Well there is one that is only 1 mile away but they say our house sits in a bowl and can't reach it.

Wow..5GB limit huh..that's pretty bad..this is just going to get worse I imagine as everyone is coming up with things on the cloud..which amazingly means you have the data on your Internet connection to get to it..

On my Comcast account..I've used the following so far:
June - 23GB
July - 48GB
August - 42GB

I'm already up to 15GB in September..I do a lot of email, streaming music, watching various videos on line and other things..we use the Internet as the enabler that it is..I don't stream movies or anything like that yet..but if I did I could totally see me reaching the 250GB limit that Comcast has on my account..

5GB will get you absolutely nothing these days, that's just dumb!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HOLY COW!!! That's high usage. I know music eats alot of data. I'm on my computer pretty much all day off and on. Mostly just a few emails but alot of social networking. And that doesn't use much at all. I don't do any music. Yeah, I feel pretty ripped off with these ridiculous caps that alot of companies are putting on. Like 5GB!! And then charge 50.00 for it. Can we say - BEND OVER!
I think we're the only house that is in this pickle. I'm going to check with the neighbor above us and see what they have and what they are doing. There are not very many neighbors around - it's VERY rural with NO towers near by. Well there is one that is only 1 mile away but they say our house sits in a bowl and can't reach it.

You said it brother..I haven't actually been using the Internet at home as much for the past couple of months since I've been very busy..but usually I'm more around 80-120GB on a monthly basis..:)

I mean a limit of 250GB is far more reasonable than 5GB..and it's too bad that you can't get any viable options where you're heading..I can imagine the annoyance..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
That cap sounds more like a mobile limit are you talking about tethering from the phone or a dongle for mobile broadband. I have never seen a cap that low for home.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.