Locked desktop icons???

Reaction score
On my office Imac the "icons" are suddenly locked on the desktop . .have looking in settings. . can't find a way to release them. They pop back to everything being on the right side

On my home Imac I can move they icons anywhere and they stay where I put them. Help!

I'm new to the forum . hope this kind of question is appropiate and posted in the correct place
Thank You
Susan

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Moved thread - "Schweb's Lounge" is for off-topic discussion.

Right click the Desktop > Show View Options > Sort By > None. That will allow you to move the icons wherever you please.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks so much Vansmith!!!
I did see, but of course it was after I posted my question! . . "related links" to go to and did find the answer as someone else had the same problem . .
Your answer was clearer as you directed me to being "on the desktop" -right clicking . .the other just said to look under "View options" and I wasn't certain in what application on the menu . .so thanks for clearing that up!!

Is there a way to access those links w/o posting - Is there a place to put the question which will access the links first (w/o posting?) . .So that I could have gotten my answer w/o bothering you?????

Thanks
Susan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You can access all the "sticky" links at the top of each forum thread list without having to post. And, you can use the Search feature to find similar topics, located at the top of the forum page in the gray menu bar.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.