Help me please! Can't boot mac osx - i'm stuck on windows 7!

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been dual booting my macbook and I started running into problems due to the small hard drive.

Basically, everything started runnign really slowly because both the mac and windows drives were full.

Mac osx will not boot up, so I have to stay in windows 7. I have deleted some stuff from the windows 7 and put it onto external drive, but I still cannot move some stuff from the mac drive onto the external drive when i'm on windows.

How do I move some stuff from the mac drive onto external drive so I can boot it up again? It doesn't seem to let me delete stuff from the mac drive whilst i'm on windows.

I have tried booting up mac osx whilst in safe mode but still will not load.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks so much

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Some questions for you:

Can you "see" your Mac hard drive partition at all while in Windows 7? You should be able to see it but not write to it while in Windows 7. And, how are you trying to boot to OS X? Have you tried holding down the Option key and then selecting your MacIntosh HD to boot from?

OP
H
Reaction score
Some questions for you:

Can you "see" your Mac hard drive partition at all while in Windows 7? You should be able to see it but not write to it while in Windows 7. And, how are you trying to boot to OS X? Have you tried holding down the Option key and then selecting your MacIntosh HD to boot from?

Yes, I have tried that and it does not boot at all.

I can go onto my computer and see the drive 'Macintosh HD' which has 242mb of 29.8gb free. My windows hd has 1.55gb of 25.6 gb free.

The problem is, I need to delete some stuff from the macintosh HD. I have tried moving stuff over, but it just makes another copy, and it won't let me delete stuff from it. I need to find a way to delete from it whilst on windows.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The problem is, I need to delete some stuff from the macintosh HD. I have tried moving stuff over, but it just makes another copy, and it won't let me delete stuff from it. I need to find a way to delete from it whilst on windows.

Mediafour MacDrive 9 will allow read - write access to HFS from Windows. Not free though.

OP
H
Reaction score
is that the only solution? Is there any free alternatives? Will it definitely work?
Edit:

just noticed a free 5 day trial.

Am I correct in thinking that I would just need to delete some stuff and it would allow me to boot again?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can try HFSExplorer (free). Can't say how well it works though but you have nothing to lose by trying it out since it's free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz c2d, 180gb vertex 2 ssd, 4gb ram
You can prevent this in the first place by making sure you keep at least 15% of total drive space free at all times on either partition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13 inch 2011 8GB RAM 750GB Hard Drive and Mac Pro (Early 2009)16GB RAM 2TB x4 Hard Drive
242mb of 29.8gb that's really low space.:eek:

Well Mac drive is not free but you can use trial for 30 days (I guess) you can use mac drive trial version to delete files in Mac partition.

But I'm sure Mac Drive trial version wouldn't let you copy/paste large file from/to Mac partition. So you should copy all the files before install Mac drive

Or another way If your macbook have Firewire. (Old macbook have Firewire)

If yes you can use your macbook in 'Target disk mode' and connect to another Mac via firewire and delete it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.