Something is wrong - Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.8 unibody
I am hoping that someone may have some experience with this problem that I am having: 15" Macbook Pro unibody (purchased just before the i7 processor refresh). With almost every operation, the computer freezes for a 2-5 minute period - I get the spiral mouse pointer indicator indicating that the computer is busy. I have tried everything that I can think of - from cleaning the hard drive to running the HD cleaning software. I am wondering if the could have been created from a shock to the hard drive - it took a pretty good bump the other day while sitting on the coffee table. Any suggestions? Thanks if advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's possible the shock could have knocked the heads out of alignment slightly enough that it takes longer to access the data. Since hard drives are so inexpensive and easy to swap out, it wouldn't hurt to buy a new one and replace the one you have.

Also, if you haven't already, make a backup ASAP. Use Time Machine or one of the several cloning applications available: SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
If anything's been knocked out of alignment the read/write hits can go down the tubes, resulting in poor I/O performance. I'd agree.. I'd swap out that disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.