QuickTime 7 Install

Reaction score
I've attempted downloading this (apparently if you already have Quicktime on your computer, downloading Quicktime 7 will be just updating your current one) and noticed that when the pop-up came telling me that I must close my IE browser and "ITunesHelper"...I closed my browser, but I didn't know what ITunesHelper was, and how or where it was open.

So anyway I chose to automatically close whatever I couldn't do myself...that being ITunesHelper. Then, it says it failed to close it. What? Lol.

Anyway there was then an "ignore" option...I chose that and apparently it starts to install the software. How could this be, I thought in order for the installation to go through, these two programs had to be closed? If not then why did it say that I "must" have these applications closed?

So my two questions are...

1. If you have an older version of Quicktime, and then you go to the Quicktime page on Apple's site to download their most recent version - Quicktime 7...is this the same as simply upgrading your QuickTime software? Just making sure I don't have "2" programs on my computer.

2. For future reference with any QuickTime downloads, what's the correct way to close ITunesHelper?

Thanks. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
QuickTime 7 is a separate application from QuickTime 10 or the newer QuickTime Player.

Reaction score
the pop-up came telling me that I must close my IE browser and "ITunesHelper"

IE? Is this windows?
Assuming it's not, open Activity Monitor, find ITunesHelper and select it then press the Quit button in the toolbar.

OP
M
Reaction score
QuickTime 7 is a separate application from QuickTime 10 or the newer QuickTime Player.
Ok, I heard QuickTime 10 doesn't work with a PC (which I have) and I think all versions of QuickTime have "Player" in them? I mean QuickTime 7 is called QuickTime 7 Player as well.

Considering I have a PC, will downloading QuickTime 7 (for PC) today on Apple's site only upgrade the current Quicktime (for PC) I have? I guess the answer is yes since under Control Panel Programs I notice one item only with QuickTime in it, but I was just making sure.

IE? Is this windows?
Assuming it's not, open Activity Monitor, find ITunesHelper and select it then press the Quit button in the toolbar.
It's Windows.

Reaction score
Should be able to right-click on the Taskbar, open Task Manager. Select the Processes tab.
Find ITunesHelper and click "End Process".

OP
M
Reaction score
Figured it was that the other day. It's pretty ironic that there's supposedly an option during the install to automatically close this thing yet it says it fails when trying to close it.

Reaction score
And this surprises you? Being a windows user?
It happens in OS X too but not nearly as much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.