Pictures 'vanishing' in Trash

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a MacBook Pro with Lion and there's a bit of a problem with the trash can. When I deleted pictures from a pen drive, i.e. dragged them off into the dock trash can, they disappeared. Sort of. I opened trash, saw a few of the pics for a second but then all were gone when I checked again after a few minutes. This happened only with pictures from a pen drive, all the other pics (downloads, etc) are in the trash. I want to make sure I won't delete something I meant to keep so it would really help if I could review the contents before emptying the trash can.
Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Maybe somebody had the same problem? I'm a new Mac user so there might be a simple fix I don't know about.
Thanks for your help,
Julie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Yes, the pictures are in the Trash as long as the pen drive is plugged in, and are only deletable while the pen drive is plugged in. Once unplugged, they disappear from sight and cannot be deleted until the drive is plugged in again.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you! Just joined this forum today and wasn't sure where to post my question:)

OP
J
Reaction score
@McYukon: Bingo! Plugged in my pen drive and the pics showed up in the trash. Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.