Can't Re-Install Tiger On Power PC G5

Reaction score
I'm having issues trying to reinstall Tiger on my Power PC Dual 2.5 G5.

I've done this a hundred timse before but for some reason holding down C on boot no longer launches the install process, it just boots the computer as usual (I have the installation DVD in my drive). I've also tried holding option and also option, control, shift, delete simultaneously.

I've tried browsing to "install OSX" within the disk's folder. It states that the install will restart the computer, and then again, boots as usual.

I've also tried entering disk utility, selecting "restore" and then pointing it to the hardrive I want to install the OS on and then to a disk image of the install on an external hardrive. This throws up an error message.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to remedy this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like either a shot optical drive or a scratched DVD.

OP
M
Reaction score
OK so what would you suggest I do as I need to reformat it? Is there another way by using the disk image/usb stick?

OP
M
Reaction score
Right I've just tested the drive and it plays a DVD movie fine so I assume it's reading OK. The disk itself I can browse through, which to me indicates the disk is OK.

I've tried booting the mac from the CD ( hold C) open firmware mode (option ctrl O + F) boot mode ( option). When I try and boot from the CD I get a mac folder icon with a question mark. I assume that this means that it can't find a bootable system.

Can anyone help? This is a really odd problem!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
It appears that you don't have a bootable install CD/DVD. I don't remember if you can make a bootable Tiger disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well what sort of disc is this? A black coloured retail install DVD or a silver/grey system disc which is extremely model specific?

OP
M
Reaction score
It's the grey tiger install disk that came with the mac that I have used several times over the year to reformat my mac with

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.