Macbook Battery Won't Charge

Reaction score
I did a search over the past month for threads addressing this problem and didn't find anything. If I missed it, my apologies for asking again.

I have a 2006-2007 white 13" Macbook running 10.6.8. A couple of months ago the magsafe end of the power cord shredded. While waiting to have a new one shipped in (we live in the boonies) the battery died.

Once I received the new power cord, I plugged it in. The computer booted, but the lite on the magsafe was a VERY dim green (could only see with the lights out), the Power report showed running off AC only, and the battery was not charging. Tried resetting SMU and PRAM, same symptoms. Tried another new ac adapter, same exact symptoms. Bought a new battery, same exact symptoms. Cleaned all magsafe and battery terminals, checked ground on DC input board, still the same. Bought a new Magsafe DC input jack, installed, reset the SMU and PRAM for the 10th time, same exact symptoms. Below is the current window for the Battery Information:

Battery Screen Shot.jpg

Is there anything else I can try, or do I just need to replace the logic board?

Thanks in advance for any help!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds to me like something shorted in the shredded MagSafe cord and damaged the circuitry for charging. If that's the case, you'll likely need to replace the logic board, unless you can find a shop that does component-level motherboard repairs.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks. That was what I was afraid of, but I was hoping there might be a fix short of that.

Any good links you could recommend for steps on swapping a logic board out?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
ifixit.com has full repair guides that detail the process.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.