Time Machine Help!!!!!

Reaction score
so i have a 13 inch mid 2007 white macbook. It is fine and has no problems. I am currently running the latest version of lion. I have a freecom mobile drive classic ll 250GB external hard drive, which has had no problems until recently. It has been around 44/45 days since my last backup, so i just plugged it in, the external hard drive makes its noise and the light is flashing. On my computer the time machine icon doesn't come up on my desktop, and when i press backup time machine, it says it can't find time machine!!! I don't know what to do?? I have loads of music, a few movies that i bought off of iTunes, and loads of files. Please Help Me SO I Can Recover Them!!!!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Something doesn't make sense here. If this is a Time Machine backup drive, you haven't any need to recover anything. Your files are still sitting on your internal hard drive where they've always been. Worst case scenario is that you have to buy a new backup drive.

Have you looked at the external drive in Disk Utility? It might just need a verify/repair permissions & verify/repair disk, under the First Aid tab. Hopefully once you've done that, it will start working again for backups.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks i will try that, but i have deleted file off of my computer as i was running out of disk space

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks i will try that, but i have deleted file off of my computer as i was running out of disk space

OK, that's not such a good idea, because it defeats the point of having a *backup*. Essentially, your redundant copy is now gone and the file is only stored in one place and subject to hardware failure (and all hard disks will fail, it's not a question of "if", but "when").

Macs like plenty of free space on the system drive. So, if you're in a situation where you're close to running out of space, the machine will start to bog down even after you clean it up. The best solution is to upgrade to a roomier internal hard disk. That should be your next order of business, assuming you can recover the Time Machine drive.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
disk utility couldn't repair the hard drive, so i don't know what to do now????

When you say it "couldn't repair the hard drive", did it give you an error message? Or did it complete it's verification and repair, but the disk still didn't show up?

OP
M
Reaction score
It said error, but i have plugged in my external hard drive this morning to check it/Wipe it. And it showed up on my desktop!!! I was so relieved. Maybe my mac was just having a bad day or the repair disc worked!! Thanks for your help!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.