iMic ouputting audio from applications but not from input

Reaction score
I'm using a MacBook Pro 13" to record audio, and since there's only one input/output jack I've purchased an iMic so that I can monitor what I'm recording while I'm playing it.

I've got my instruments plugged into the input, and outputting to an amp. Under System Prefs, iMic USB audio system is selected on both input and output. The output seems to work fine, I can play from iTunes or the internet and it comes through the amp loud and clear.

Input seems to be a problem, however. The input volume is at 100%, and when I strike a key on my synth, the input level lights up almost all the way to the right, but there is no sound coming out. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If sound is common throughout the input as indicated by the meter you are not necessarily going to hear it at the same time. That depends upon other software. I would suggest doing a couple of things to troubleshoot further:

1. Check to see if whatever software you are using supports a function called "play thru". If so activate it and try again. You may have to adjust the levels to prevent feedback.

2. Even though you don't hear the sound when a key is struck try making a brief recording. If you hear the sound when you playback the recording but not as the sound was being recorded then the problem is with play thru as I described above.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks! I can hear what I'm playing now through my amp. The only problem is that the iMic added considerable distortion and feedback, but I switched the headphone jack to input and am using the iMic only as an output. Working great so far!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad you got things all sorted out. I didn't even think about the possibility of introducing distortion other than the possibility of introducing feedback.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.