MBA "normal" temperature and fan speed

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm a new mac user...I've just bought a new MBA 13, with i5 processor.
I use windows pc since I was young (and still a lot...I'm a researcher in computer science), but this is my first experience with the mac world.

Now, there is something that worries me: I can see that my MBA has the CPU temperature at ~60 C, only with chrome open (no flash). Or ~75 C with only vlc open (watching a video). Or ~88 C with vlc + performing apps update from app store. Now, considering that my old laptop with i5 processor is always around 40 C...and reaches 65 only when running many applications, it seems a little to much to me.

Then I install a widget to monitor the fan (istat), and I can see that it reports "exahust 2000 rpm"...when only chomre is open (by the way, what does it mean exhaust?!?)...

Is this normal? What is your experience?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
All normal temperatures. The fan speed is close to normal also. Just don't operate the MBA on your lap or an area where the air can't circulate around it.

OP
W
Reaction score
All normal temperatures. The fan speed is close to normal also. Just don't operate the MBA on your lap or an area where the air can't circulate around it.

The MBA was on my desk...so it should have dissipated the heat properly.
You are saying that this is normal, that is reassuring.
Even so, I've read of user with lower temperature around...around 50-55 (which basically I never have).
Considering that my MBA has been bought yesterday, do you think I should ask for a new one?

Reaction score
As i write my cpu is 42 and fan speed is 1999

Don't read too much into the threads your reading on the net regarding fan speeds and cpu heat. Typically when something new is released lots of people like to carry out all types of tests and statistics on it.

I use mine on a netbook fan cooler so that may help.

Ive not heard my mba fan kick in really yet.

Just enjoy your macbook air.

OP
W
Reaction score
As i write my cpu is 42 and fan speed is 1999

Don't read too much into the threads your reading on the net regarding fan speeds and cpu heat. Typically when something new is released lots of people like to carry out all types of tests and statistics on it.

I use mine on a netbook fan cooler so that may help.

Ive not heard my mba fan kick in really yet.

Just enjoy your macbook air.

Thanks for the reply.
For sure, your 42 C temperature is definitively lower than mine 55 C lowest point... maybe because of the fan cooler (isn't it a little uncomfortable to carry around?).
I'm more than ok with my MBA...as long as it's not going to be ruined by the high temperature...

Reaction score
Hi

I really only use my MBA in my home so I don't carry the cooler about. I have enough confidence in the MBA not to need to carry the cooler with me if I needed to take it with me.

Your CPU heat and fan speeds are well within it's parameters. Like I've said don't be overtaken by statistics. Unless your MBA gets excessively warm or the fans sound like their doing overtime then don't be worried

To be fair the netbook cooler does a better job of keeping my legs cool. As I understand it the MacBook air releases heat thro the hinge and upper part of the keyboard. Near the f7 key I think.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi

I really only use my MBA in my home so I don't carry the cooler about. I have enough confidence in the MBA not to need to carry the cooler with me if I needed to take it with me.

Your CPU heat and fan speeds are well within it's parameters. Like I've said don't be overtaken by statistics. Unless your MBA gets excessively warm or the fans sound like their doing overtime then don't be worried

To be fair the netbook cooler does a better job of keeping my legs cool. As I understand it the MacBook air releases heat thro the hinge and upper part of the keyboard. Near the f7 key I think.

Very well said.

Also, this isn't an overclocked gaming rig we're talking about. It's a notebook, and an incredibly thin notebook at that. The tolerances for cooling are extremely tight and the engineers that designed the cooling system knew what they were doing.

Your fans are controlled thermostatically by the systems management controller. There's no need to second guess them. If there was a problem, the machine would turn itself off. My advice would be remove the monitoring software, lest you make yourself paranoid.

OP
W
Reaction score
Very well said.

Also, this isn't an overclocked gaming rig we're talking about. It's a notebook, and an incredibly thin notebook at that. The tolerances for cooling are extremely tight and the engineers that designed the cooling system knew what they were doing.

Your fans are controlled thermostatically by the systems management controller. There's no need to second guess them. If there was a problem, the machine would turn itself off. My advice would be remove the monitoring software, lest you make yourself paranoid.

Well...it is not that I have something against the engineers, in fact I'm quite happy with the MBA.
My point is, considering that I see lower temperature around on the web (see 42 C of chunkylee), maybe my MBA is not working properly.
That is my only concern...if MY MBA should be returned...talking about the GENERAL MBA instead, it's a great laptop, for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Mate,
Trust the Apple engineers who designed the machine .... just don't block the exhaust so the hot air can get away.
You can not compare the temperature of 2 machines even if they are identical, because the environment is not the same.

My 2 cents.
Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
And I thought I was bad about worry over problems with my computer. You take it to an entire new level. That was supposed to make you laugh. On a serious note if you do some research on the mac mini, playstation 3 slim, macbook air, the new really slim samsung you will find all these devices run pretty freaking hot. With so much pressure for companies to make thinner and smaller products its the nature of the beast. The engineers do come up with some pretty amazing designs to dispers heat, but these kind of devices are going to run hotter then a regular laptop. If your this worried about heat I would suggest building or ordering a desktop with a custom cooling system. When you buy the latest and greatest technology its bound to have a few little quarks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.