iPad 2---Is it just a glorified iPod Touch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13in, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB, Mac OSX 10.7.1
First off, I love everything made by Apple; I have a MacBook Pro, iPhone 4, iPod Touch. However, I really want an iPad 2 but I just can't get myself to buy it. I already have a Nook, so I don't really need it for the eReader purposes and I already have the MacBook so I don't really need it for the computer purpose. I guess I just really want one because I love all Apple products. I went to the Apple Store to see if they could somehow talk me into getting one but her sales pitch just didn't convince me. She basically made it sound like a glorified iPod Touch.

Basically I just want your alls opinion on why I should get one or am I fine without having one? I just get seem to make up my mind.

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I like the iPad as a book reader 5x better than any other reader I have used. Love the screen. iPod touch is so small. The Apps that are made for the iPad work a lot better than their iPhone counterparts. iWork works great on the iPad. The WEB is a lot faster than any touch I have used but maybe the latest are close.

For most things I do away from home, the iPad is nicer to take along than a computer, smaller and lighter but with excellent screen. I rarely take my Notebooks with me anymore except I need to do work that requires a complete computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
It's Apple so I just had to get one. Good enough reason for me.

Reaction score
I once thought the same thing, don't really need one because its 1) a glorified iPod, 2) does not fill anything my Mac can't, 3) already had a Nook.

I bought the original iPad in March and I wouldn't trade it for anything other than a new one. Let's just say that for me its convenient to use on the go, around the house or anywhere. For instance, this weekend the wife and I had an overnight conference to attend. Normally I would have lugged the Mac and/or relied on the iPhone. Instead I took the iPad and used my iPhone hotspot and it was perfect for what I needed.

All that said, it still can't replace my Macbook Pro and never will.

Reaction score
First off, I love everything made by Apple; I have a MacBook Pro, iPhone 4, iPod Touch. However, I really want an iPad 2 but I just can't get myself to buy it. I already have a Nook, so I don't really need it for the eReader purposes and I already have the MacBook so I don't really need it for the computer purpose. I guess I just really want one because I love all Apple products. I went to the Apple Store to see if they could somehow talk me into getting one but her sales pitch just didn't convince me. She basically made it sound like a glorified iPod Touch.

Basically I just want your alls opinion on why I should get one or am I fine without having one? I just get seem to make up my mind.

Thanks!

You seem to not like the iPod Touch all that much. The iPod Touch in itself is glorious! Think of it as upgrading from a high quality 22 inch tv to a high quality 52 inch tv. Now that's divine!

Reaction score
I purchased an iPad2. I am not an early adopter. Keep in mind that I was not impressed with the iphone1 or 2, but loved the iphone 3. To put it nicely I found the iPad to be a very awkward iphone that did iphone and computer tasks poorly. There where a few gimmicky features and apps I liked, but not enough to keep my buyers remorse away. I took it back the second day I owned it because I hated it that much. Not to mention the screen was very ugly. I still have high hopes for the iPad, in my opinion its just not there yet. I see great potential with the ipad and plan on buying an iPad3. Eventually we will all have a tablet of some kind once software catches up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
This thread has just made my day. I still can't understand people that NEED to be talked into buying it.
@the OP if you love  products that much, wanting to get and then getting the iPad2 should be a no-brainer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i
I purchased an iPad2. I am not an early adopter. Keep in mind that I was not impressed with the iphone1 or 2, but loved the iphone 3. To put it nicely I found the iPad to be a very awkward iphone that did iphone and computer tasks poorly. There where a few gimmicky features and apps I liked, but not enough to keep my buyers remorse away. I took it back the second day I owned it because I hated it that much. Not to mention the screen was very ugly. I still have high hopes for the iPad, in my opinion its just not there yet. I see great potential with the ipad and plan on buying an iPad3. Eventually we will all have a tablet of some kind once software catches up.

The screen was ugly are you for real? I would say most people describe the iPad screen as beautiful rich and vibrant. How is it an awkward iPhone please explain. Web browsing would be far more awkward on an iPhone and its smaller display unless you tried to hold it to your ear and use it as a phone I guess. Does iPhone tasks poorly? The iPad 2 has a newer faster dual core processor over the iPhone not to mention a larger screen for easier use, more multi touch gestures and easier viewing. Unless of course you was again trying to use it as a phone I would say the iPad would perform iPhone tasks equally as well if not better. From everything I read you sound like a troll, and I can't understand why if you hated the iPad 2 so much that you would be planning on buying the iPad 3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i
You seem to not like the iPod Touch all that much. The iPod Touch in itself is glorious! Think of it as upgrading from a high quality 22 inch tv to a high quality 52 inch tv. Now that's divine!

Great description that one, may use that myself. I work with the iPads and I can honestly say in a store that sells hundreds of different electronic lines there has been nothing that gets the same level of interest as the iPad. Does that mean the OP should buy one? Not really. If you have no role for the device then there is no point in actually buying one. I do not own one but I have no need for one at present. I happen to think it is a remarkable device though but at the moment my needs are met by my Macbook Pro and iPhone 4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Just to add my 2¢...

I had the first gen iPad, and found that I really didn't use it like I thought I would. I found that most of the apps are really internet-dependent, and with wifi only, it loses some of it's luster when you can't hit the interwebs. I purchased an iPad 2, and this time I got the 3g version - WOW what a difference that made. I take it everywhere! It's been so much more enjoyable than the wifi only model. I already had an iPhone, so I really didn't need the iPad, and that almost stopped me from getting it. But, I'm glad it didn't because it's become a pretty integral part of my life now.

Reaction score
i personally wouldnt know. oh yeah i have a ipad2 64gb 3g but some how my wife has hijacked it and i havent seen it since may.. :( ..

lol all kidding aside my kids have itouch's i have an i phone and when you compare both imo i would rather use the ipad2 for searching the web,reading,playing games, and whatever you can throw at it.. i love taking the ipad on vacation and over 3g being able to use maps look for places to eat, visit, watch movies on the plane, etc.

+6 for the ipad2 (wife,me,4kids)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Mid 2009 4GB 500GB 7200RPM, Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010 8GB 750GB 7200RPM, iPhone 4

Thanks!

I have a MBP, iPhone 4, iPod touch, and iPad 2. I have purposes for all. My mbp I use for school and/or research, my iPhone is for communication of course, the iPod touch is for music, now for my iPad I use it when I am just surfing the web or am on the go and don't want to carry my mbp around. I ALWAYS have one or the other. But to be honest, I probably never would have gone out and spent the money to purchase the iPad 2 (the latest to my collection) but since I was able to get a 32GB for only $350 it was WAY too good of a deal to pass up. So I fed into the addiction :Smirk:

Reaction score
Just recently purchased a iPad 2, after debating on whether I should get that or iPod Touch and I am glad I made the right decision, I am primary a PC user for more resource heavy stuff like programming, video etc. and iPad 2 for casual stuff like web browsing, Twitter, Kindle.

I also thought iPad was just a glorified iPod Touch but I have to say after trying it out, I now realise why Apple are the dominant ones in the tablet area.

Reaction score
Sure it does pretty much the same things as the iPod/iPhone, but it does them all bigger (less zooming to read web pages) and generally better. It doesn't do everything that a Mac does, but it does 95% of what I do on my Mac. Battery life is phenomenal and it's just a finger swipe from being on & ready to use at all times. So in a nutshell, I usually have a iPhone, iPad & MacBook Pro close by and virtually always grab the iPad. My MacBook gets VERY little use these days.

Reaction score
It's the size of the screen that makes the difference. Large enough for several people to share the view, but small enough to carry easily anywhere. The instant-on makes it vastly superior to a laptop, allowing for spontaneous use anywhere. I used it during a work meeting the other day and was amazed how it added to our ability to find fast answers online. Can't do that so effectively with the smaller iPhone screen. Wife and I use it ours around the house and carry them outside for work and play all the time now. And she isn't one bit into computers.

But it cannot replace a laptop for serious document or spreadsheet work, or an iPhone for hands-free/carrybag-free mobility.

Reaction score
are you kidding me?

My old PC is getting really dusty, I practically haven't used it in 6 months (that's when I got my iPad 2 32 GB 3G). I am a graphic designer, amateur web master, and some other stuff.
The iPad starts instantly,
I've found all sorts of software there,
It can for sure be useful with 95% of the tasks you would normally do in a computer (I have vector drawing, radio over the internet, class notes, music, videos {all sorts with AV player}, social networking, general information, news, magazines, al the Internet, iWork, Dropbox.)
And major software developers are starting to notice that if they are not in iPad, there is no place in the near future for them, Adobe has just announced their "Touch" set of apps, fully functional Photoshop, Web Mockups, Creative software in general.
My wife had to admit that there is someone else in my life, my iPad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.