trial and error with different data recovery

Reaction score
Hi!

I recently had a small child destroy a 700GB Western Digital external hard drive. I've used an old version of Data Rescue which after 2 days recovered some files (about 1/3rd) but many were without names (numbers instead of their names) and in no order. (foreign movies without their subtitles file and much more of a mess that would take me a year of organization just to fix those few files). I tried burning an image of the broken hard drive with dd_rescue using the terminal, after 2 days it turned out that the disk image wont open :-(

I have tried to order the insanely expensive Boomerang Data Recovery but they rejected my US credit card with my foreign IP address even though my bank approved it. I ran their demo and after 2 days it showed up as if it was going to recover all my files with their correct file names and in their correct folders but since I couldn't buy the $200 serial number from them I have no idea if it is really something that would work anyway. $200 is about 700 of my local currency anyway so it is VERY expensive for me and I really only wanted to try it as a last resort.

Does anyone have any other suggestions about what I can do to try to read the hard drive? I plugged it into a PC laptop and it read the hard drive momentarily before it decided it didn't know how to open the disk and acted the same as my Mac.

Please help! I am desperate!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.