• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Uninstall Final Cut Express?

Reaction score
So I have Final Cut Express on my Macbook (the aluminum model that ran for a short time), but I more recently got Final Cut Pro when Express randomly stopped working for some reason. It's Final Cut Express 1.0, so it likely has something to do with when I upgraded to Snow Leopard, but that's not important; I have no use for it. I would like to uninstall it.

Unfortunately, in trying to look up how to uninstall it, everything I can find deals with Final Cut Express HD or with the entire Final Cut Studio, and since I have Final Cut Pro I don't want to go around deleting studio programs I actually need for Pro.

Anyone know how I would go about uninstalling and deleting Final Cut Express?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Pretty much all you have to do is take the Final Cut Express from the Apps folder and throw it in and trash and empty. There might be a few folders in documents. Just enter Final Cut Express in Spotlight and it will find those and you can trash them. Everything else is in the Final Cut Express file which is a container. Right Click on FCE and select Show Package Contents and if will show you all the files in that container.

OP
T
Reaction score
Pretty much all you have to do is take the Final Cut Express from the Apps folder and throw it in and trash and empty. There might be a few folders in documents. Just enter Final Cut Express in Spotlight and it will find those and you can trash them. Everything else is in the Final Cut Express file which is a container. Right Click on FCE and select Show Package Contents and if will show you all the files in that container.

That file alone just seems so small; I would expect Final Cut to take up a bit more space than that. I figured there were tons of program files or something. But okay, if that's it, I'll just do that. Thanks.

As a side note, if I wanted to get rid of some of the other stuff from the Final Cut Studio, like Motion, that are just taking up space and that I never use, would that be wise? I don't know if it would limit Final Cut's abilities or anything, or what I need to do to get rid of them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.