iPhone 3g white/black screen of death

Reaction score
Apologies - there have probably already been hundreds of threads about this but nothing I have tried so far has worked.

So, I received a text on my iPhone 3g, read it, put the phone back down on the table in its protective cover. Only, when I received another text message and went to read it I noticed the screen was entirely white. The phone had not been dropped.

Odd.

The only function the sleep button served was to turn the screen off (as when you 'lock' the phone). A second click of it brought the white screen back.

A soft reset with the sleep and home buttons did nothing at all.

So, I plugged it into iTunes. It recognised it (great!) so I did a full restore. The only effect this had was to turn the screen completely black instead of white.

Now, the sleep/home function is still doing nothing and iTunes will no longer recognise the phone.

Anybody have any ideas?! As mentioned, the phone wasn't dropped, it just died in between text messages so I'm guessing probably not hardware?

J

jer16

I have been getting blank screen lately too, the quick solution being switch off, wait, switch on.

Maybe some of the apps are not closing/finishing properly and are leaving debris around to fill up the memory or to trip up the other apps afterwards.

Anyway, close-down seems to clear it ... temporarily anyway.

(Is this helpful? Pls click on left to add to my reputation if it is)

Reaction score
If it doesn't power on, try this. Download the redsnow for your firmware, and the firmware ipsw. Then open redsnow and jailbreak. If the jailbreak doesn't work, then restore again and redo the redsnow thing. This worked for me, I don't know if it will for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.