HELP Please..... No bootable device screen on win/osx setup iMac.

Reaction score
I have done something to my iMac that I knew would not work/or a gamble but still gave it a try!

I have OS X Lion and Windows 7 64bit (Bootcamp). The Windows partition in bootcamp was only 100GB so I tried to access more storage by creating a partition from the current OS X partition but format it as MS Fat. I didn't format OS X partition.

The IMac is setup to boot in Windows. After performing this partition in disk utility on OS X i rebooted the machine and got a black screen with message
" No bootable device --- insert boot disk and press any key "

O'pooop!!!

I have tried holding the option keys on boot to access boot volume screen. No luck. Just goes to the black screen with boot device message.

What would you advice the best course of action.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I hope you made backups before you went to playing with your partitions.

1. Try a PRAM reset - discovered by the op himself.

2. Boot to your bootable SD! or CCC backup
open Disk Utility and partition the internal drive to a single partition
open SD! or CCC and backup to your internal drive
then boot to your internal drive
open up Boot Camp Assistant and create your Windows partition and install Windows
boot to Windows
install Boot Camp drivers
use your Win 7 backup
might be able to do this in a couple of hours

3. Boot to the Lion USB key you made
open Disk Utility and partition the internal drive to a single partition
install Lion
have it use your Time Machine backup to restore your data
open up Boot Camp Assistant and ...
again - probably a couple of hours

4. You don't have any backups - :[
Head out and buy yourself another hard drive - either an external or use this as an excuse to upgrade your internal drive
boot from your Snow Leopard disc that shipped with your machine or the retail one whichever you have
install Snow Leopard on the new drive - external or internal whichever you decided to get
update Snow Leopard to 10.6.8
install Lion from the App Store
then try to salvage your data from your current drive if it is still readable, etc.
a whole bunch of time

5. You don't have any backups and you lost your original OS X discs

:[:[:[:[:[:[:[:[:[

OP
W
Reaction score
Just an update that may help people in a similar position:

Hold down P, R, Alt and Cmd. Turn on Mac whilst holding these keys down. Boots up into Mac OS X.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Good to know WaveRider - didn't even think about a PRAM reset in this scenario. Thanks.

Going to edit the above in case someone else runs into this and stops reading at my post.

OP
W
Reaction score
Only problem is i get the boot error message if trying to restart in Windows. Looks like i need to delete the bootcamp partition and re-install win 7. O'well, could have be worst!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.