i haven't got a "Recovery HD" ????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
Hi i upgraded from SL to Lion in July, perhaps like most other folk ?

I was trying to understand the operating system a little more, by opening "System Preferences", then opening "Start Up Disc" ......
I have been led to believe that "Recovery HD" should be listed, but it IS NOT there in the list at all !

I understand that the Recovery HD is in a hidden partition, accessible by Command-R when booting up.

It looks to me as if i haven't got Recovery HD ?????

any ideas anyone ? please.

tim

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You have been led to believe incorrectly. Recovery HD is hidden. It will not show up in the Startup Disk preferences. Nor does it appear in Disk Utility. It would not be "hidden" if it appeared in either of those places.

You can boot to it by pressing Command-R as soon as you hear the startup chime and holding it until you see the Apple logo.

Or, you can boot holding the option key as soon as you hear the startup chime and holding it until you see the boot menu where you will find it as one of the options.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
Ok thanks that is a very good explanation Pal thanks, i shall try and locate that misleading statement and put them right, whoever it was.

Thanks. Panic Over.

I do get a menu up with 4 options to do with Recovery when i do one or the other of those key presses.

Thanks

tim

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.