Apple Laptop poor travel companion? At issue: Lion Recovery

Reaction score
Hey,

It's about time I replaced the dying Macbook Pro I've had for 5 years. And I'm about to embark on a 4-month bicycle trip across Central Africa, with a small laptop in tow. The 11" Macbook Air seemed like a great choice for portability and reliability and that good old Mac OS warm fuzzy feeling.

Seemed like it, UNTIL I just discovered it's impossible to restore Lion without an internet connection??? Can it really be true? The whole reason I am taking an entire laptop, rather that just a tablet like an iPad, is so that I can solve software issues should they arise. All the way up to fresh OS installation if necessary. (well plus a few other advantages like useability..)

Internet access is sparse and slow in Central Africa. Even in the cities, I'll be glad to be able to upload a few low res photos and blog entries, probably not much video to speak of. Downloading a hefty 4GB chunk of OS will, in the vast majority of places, likely be out of the question.

Does this mean I have to give up on taking an Apple computer with me? Sorry but I will sacrifice all the great things I know and love, that make Macs so much better than PC's, if I won't be able to service the darn thing should some problem arise.

Anyways, that's ridiculous, if it's really the case. Someone tell me it ain't so. lol. I was about to buy one.

Help?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Either this or burn Lion to a disk but then you would need be an external super drive with you too.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hmm, that's what I thought, that I could just use the USB stick to reinstall if necessary, but one of the Q&A's for that product says it is not compatible with the current generation of MacBook Air. (This is actually where I learnt the unfortunate news)

I am starting to wonder whether maybe the person who answered the question was mistaken.

Can anyone confirm that it is possible to reinstall Lion onto a current-generation MacBook Air using the USB stick and no internet connection?

Is it also possible to create a bootable install disk on a hard drive / thumb drive, rather than a cd? If so I could make my own USB stick if I wanted, instead of buying their expensive one... I will not be carrying an optical drive.

Thanks a lot.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I guess I have to wonder what your concerns are in terms of recoverability. You do have an SSD after-all. It's not like solid state components are prone to failure. OS X doesn't need to be reinstalled as a maintenance measure like Windows does. So, I guess I don't understand your concern to begin with?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.