Need CD burner for ancient Mac

M

mjwerner

I have a PowerMac 7500/100 (it has a PowerPC 601 processor, 100MHZ), I'm using Mac OS 8.6, and I have a Keyspan USB PCI card, with USB 1.0. I'm having trouble finding a CD burner that will work on my Mac. Any suggestions?
Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Those old PowerMacs use SCSI for internal drives, instead of IDE. So mainly what you need to find is a CD burner with a SCSI interface, which won't be too easy.

USB 1 is way too slow for CD burning, and you probably won't find an external one that can use USB 1. And a USB 2 card won't work either, as it's not supported with anything less than Mac OS X (not even OS9).

OP
L

lil

Avalon said:
Those old PowerMacs use SCSI for internal drives, instead of IDE. So mainly what you need to find is a CD burner with a SCSI interface, which won't be too easy.

USB 1 is way too slow for CD burning, and you probably won't find an external one that can use USB 1. And a USB 2 card won't work either, as it's not supported with anything less than Mac OS X (not even OS9).

USB 1.1 should work, 8x being the theoretical upper limit on USB 1.1 and 4x (600KB/s burning) being realistic.

The 7500 has the same SCSI config as the 8500 I have here, externally that will do 5MB/s (faster than USB 1.1) so what you need ideally is an external SCSI drive which has a 25pin D sub connector to a 50pin Centronics connector probably and the SCSI drive in an external enclosure.

You could alternatively replace the internal SCSI CD-ROM with a SCSI CDRW drive - that would work absolutely fine so long as you set the SCSI ID to one that is not in use (generally ID 3 is a safe bet..).

The SCSI ID basically defines the device number on the chain, which can be an ID between 0 and 6 (so a total of 7 devices on one SCSi chain).

To replace the internal drive is easy. BAsically just a simple straight swap.

if you need to keep the internal CD-ROM e,g: as a source to burn from, then the external route is the way to go, prefrably an external SCSi drive as they will run faster than on the USB 1.1 bus.

Alternatively, Sonnet make a IDE-ATA 133 card which allow you to replace internal drives with inexpensive IDE devices.

I have acquired a Power macintosh 7500 and 8500 this weekend, the 7500 is doing nothing and the 8500 has been set up to replace the 7200/90. Either way, don't sling out the 7500 - it's quite expandable.

Vicky :flower:

OP
B

Badger

Iomega made an external CD-RW drive called the "Predator". It is the first (oldest) version at 6x6x4x. I use one on my 6400 (OS 8.6) with a USB 1.1 card with Toast for software. With the USB 1.1 bus I found I have to set the burn speed as low as 2x to get a good burn. It's slow but it does work. The drive is no longer produced but you can try eBay.

PS: I checked the Iomega website. It says the drive and included software (Toast Lite) is compatible with 8.6-9.1 and the drive itself is compatible with 8.6 or newer systems, including X.

Reaction score
I have an old external smart and friendly 2x SCSI CD-R Drive laying around doing nothing.

ed724

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
mjwerner said:
I have a PowerMac 7500/100 (it has a PowerPC 601 processor, 100MHZ), I'm using Mac OS 8.6, and I have a Keyspan USB PCI card, with USB 1.0. I'm having trouble finding a CD burner that will work on my Mac. Any suggestions?
Thank you!

OWC (www.macsales.com) has an internal SCSI for about $13.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.