iPhoto doesn't work with video - Where to import video files

Reaction score
I'm new to mac and am having trouble importing video files.
I used to keep jpeg and mov avi etc in the same folder on my pc but when i transferred to my new iMac only pictures transferred to iPhoto.

Where should I import existing and future video files?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'm new to mac and am having trouble importing video files.
I used to keep jpeg and mov avi etc in the same folder on my pc but when i transferred to my new iMac only pictures transferred to iPhoto.

Where should I import existing and future video files?

iMovie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
It should be in your Applications folder. It has to be said, though, that iMovie is more a tool for editing video footage to produce a finished movie with audio and visual effects, that is then exported to dvd or as a movie file, rather than the video equivalent of iPhoto.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
It should be in your Applications folder. It has to be said, though, that iMovie is more a tool for editing video footage to produce a finished movie with audio and visual effects, that is then exported to dvd or as a movie file, rather than the video equivalent of iPhoto.

True . . . and iDvD (also part of the iLife suite ) works pretty well for the latter.

I probably should have been more lengthy (and helpful) with my post, didn't want to take the time at that point.
My main reason for pointing the OP at iMovie wasn't so much iMovie's strengths but my experience in doing exactly what he has been doing.
For years I used iPhoto (then Aperture) as a repository for both photos and videos. As a result my libraries began to swell (63gb) on my main Aperture Library before I decided to do something about it.

Now, I have broken my video files out into their own Aperture libraries and am in the process of importing them into iMove and Final Cut Express (where they probably should have been all along).
As a result, my main Aperture library is now a more manageable 25gb.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.