Defective macbook pro and horrible apple service

Reaction score
I purchased a 17 inch Macbook Pro 17 inch from Best Buy in Boynton beach Florida in August of this year. The computer had the lion operating system installed. After a few days Apple released an update to improve wifi issues with the computer. since the update my computer willnot load pages, will not allow access to my msn messenger, yahoo messenger, Yahoo mail. I contacted Apple care numerous tumes. They were very rude and are yet to correct the problem. I brought the computer to the Apple store and they told me tio wait for the next update. I brought the computer to best buy and they weren't able to duplicate the problem so the will not rturn my money. I cannot access my router as I live in a large building and I have no way of changing it due to the complications due to the last upgrade. I would like my money back but apple and best buy refuses.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sorry to hear about the problems. Sounds like much of the poor service was with Best Buy (not Apple).

BELIEVE me...Apple is #1 in customer service...and I could give you lots & lots of examples attesting to that.:)

Are you 100% sure that the problems connecting to your router are not due to your MacBook Pro's network settings or the router's settings...rather than something to do with Lion?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7
I purchased a 17 inch Macbook Pro 17 inch from Best Buy in Boynton beach Florida in August of this year. The computer had the lion operating system installed. After a few days Apple released an update to improve wifi issues with the computer. since the update my computer willnot load pages, will not allow access to my msn messenger, yahoo messenger, Yahoo mail. I contacted Apple care numerous tumes. They were very rude and are yet to correct the problem. I brought the computer to the Apple store and they told me tio wait for the next update. I brought the computer to best buy and they weren't able to duplicate the problem so the will not rturn my money. I cannot access my router as I live in a large building and I have no way of changing it due to the complications due to the last upgrade. I would like my money back but apple and best buy refuses.

Go back to the Apple store and politely stay there until you get proper satisfaction with resolving your issue. This should not be a problem. Best wishes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13 inch 2011 8GB RAM 750GB Hard Drive and Mac Pro (Early 2009)16GB RAM 2TB x4 Hard Drive
Sorry to hear too.

I agree with pigoo3 that Apple is #1 customer service. I have really bad experience with other brands.

But as I read the problem wasn't that bad. It sounds like OS and software problem not hardware. You may have to do "clean install" to correct problems

For those messenger problem you can try to use other messenger apps such as Adium, Trillian or mercury messenger. I think they are a lot better than msn messenger

My MBP can access to my router without any problem and I'm using both Snow Leopard and Lion. Well... I'm using 13 inch model but I believe apple puts same Airport chip.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
Actually sounds like his network settings, since all of the programs he mentioned are dependent on a network connection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Check your network settings and try using an Ethernet cable once and see if that works. If it doesn't try repairing disk permissions and repairng the disk. And If that doesn't work use the recovery feature in lion to reinstall the os. If none of these fail then it is a hardware issue.

Reaction score
I work in tech support business class for an ISP. I do not claim to be an expert in apple, but i know a lot about modems, routers, ext. First step is to plug your computer directly into the modem and bypass your network complete. This will will help us understand if this is a wireless/networking problem or not. If you still have a problem directly plugged into the modem you could also go to a place where you can get free wireless service such as a panara bread or coffee shop. If your still having problem at that point then I would call apple and let me know about all the trouble shooting you just did and the result. Best buy is a wast of time, they dont know anything. To me it sounds most likely that your having a wireless networking problem caused by wireless interference which is very common. If you find that out to be true let us know and we can give you some direction on how to resolve that. Good luck, currently I have an unusual intermittent problem related to my battery on my new Macbook air. Your not the only one with tough intermittent problems that don't show up when you go to the store. It's the way all computers can be at times. Good Luck : )

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.