Laptop not recognising an ext hard drive

And

Reaction score
Ok now I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but it's the most suitable forum I could see.... I have an early 06 MacBook Pro. I've backed up everything onto a 1Tb Samsung external Harddrive, which connects via a USB - mini b connection. I've had to wipe the Mac, so I was going to get my files off my hard drive. However I've had to use a different cable than the one that came with it. It still has the same connections, and the ext hard drive is lighting up, but there is no sign of it on the computer. Not in disk utilities, on the desk top, on finder, no where. Could this be down to the lead? I *think* this happened before and fixed itself when I found the original lead. But I can't be sure... also I did an SMC (?) reset, but that didn't help...

Thanks for any help!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Next step is to try a different cable for sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.