Mac + PC setup

M

mattew.paul

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a setup that would allow me to switch between my PC and 12" powerbook. They will be sharing the same 17" lcd and since I need a new keyboard and mouse, I was hoping to find one that would work with both my PC and Mac.

Also, I only have about $200 to spend.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Get a two-way USB KVM (Keyboard-Video-Mouse) switch. They can be had for less than US$30 online.

You'll also need a USB keyboard and mouse. Doesn't matter which. You could, say, get an Apple Mighty Mouse and Apple USB Keyboard ($80 total) or a Microsoft Digital Media Pro keyboard and Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer (also $80 total.) Or a Matias Tactile Pro keyboard and a Logitech MX510 ($150 total.) Or a Logitech media keyboard and a Logitec optical USB mouse ($40 total.) Or....

OP
M

mattew.paul

When I was looking at KVM switches, they all seemed to have PS/2 ports, not USB. The few I found with USB were priced in the hundreds. I'm pretty set on getting a MX1000 mouse (girlfriend works at Best Buy, so I get her discount) but would an apple keyboard work ok with my PC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
I have a kensington mac keyboard, a regular logitech usb mouse, and a iogear miniview 2 port KVM switch, and it works perfectly. To use the mac keyboard with the pc, all you have to do is remember the windows key, and the alt key switch spots.

get the miniview KVM at newegg.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3
the apple keyboard works on a pc. no issue.
am using it right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
mattew.paul said:
I'm pretty set on getting a MX1000 mouse (girlfriend works at Best Buy, so I get her discount) but would an apple keyboard work ok with my PC?

I wouldn't recommend the MX1000. Opticals work fine. If you want to throw away money sheerly for the pleasure of saying you own a laser mouse, go right ahead, though. On the subject of keyboard: yes. Pretty much every single keyboard and mouse made today will work on either a PC or a Mac beautifully. I've only even heard of one mouse that doesn't, and no keyboards that don't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
OP
M

mattew.paul

Thanks for all the input. After many searches on google, I found this USB Switch

All I need to do is decide on a keyboard and mouse.

OP
U

UncSki1218

no, the mx 1000 is a great mouse. the laser is much precise with less lag. also the 10 buttons are programmable on pc (and mac with a little fooling around). finally, the charging base is awesome. as for the keyboard...i would go the mac usb or a kensington slim.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.