How to make OS X Lion USB Key AFTER Lion is installed

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So my MBP has Lion already installed on it, and I am trying to now make a bootable USB drive because I need to repair disk permissions on my SSD, therefore, I need a fresh install of Lion.

When I go to the app store to try and get the download (which is all I need at this point, as I know how to actually make the bootable USB drive), it will not let me download as Lion is already installed.

Does anybody know how I can remedy this situation? Be advised that I do not have a Superdrive as I am using a HDD+SSD setup.

Thanks in advance,

-Bentharbour

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Should be as easy as

"
I was expecting a real hint here. For example how to get the installer again after you downloaded.

There actually is an official Apple method to download the lion installer again, without deleting anything, without getting a new mac, and it even works on 10.7.

Here's how to do it:
Step 1 Open the Mac App Store.
Step 2 Navigate to your "Purchases" Page
Step 3 Hold down the "option"-key (alt) on your keyboard and click on your "OS X Lion" purchase (not on the "installed" button).
Step 4 You see the Lion product page. It should say "Installed", but that button is clickable. Hold down the "option"-key again and click on installed. If you don't hold the option key it will tell you there's already a newer version installed.
Step 5 Enter your login credentials.
Step 6 Download.

I guess I'll try and submit this procedure as a real hint.

10.7: Re-downloading Lion from App Store again - Mac OS X Hints
"

The short version: Go to Lion product page and option click the "Installed" button.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Open up the App Store - hold down the option key, then select the Purchased tab - have to hold option down until the Purchased page loads and Lion will change to an Install option which will allow you to re-download it..

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So my MBP has Lion already installed on it, and I am trying to now make a bootable USB drive because I need to repair disk permissions on my SSD, therefore, I need a fresh install of Lion. ...

Apple has released Lion Recovery Disk Assistant, which allows users to
create their own OS X Lion recovery/installation external drives even though you have already downloaded and installed Lion.

It creates a Lion recovery disk on a USB flash drive even if you did not keep your original install image.

This version of OS X Lion has the same features as Lion's built-in recovery drive (located on the hard drive).

See:

OS X Lion: About Lion Recovery Disk Assistant

Lion Recovery Disk Assistant.

OP
bentharbour
Reaction score
You guys are all very knowledgeable!

Regards,

-bentharbour

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.