Office For Mac Excel - False File Reservations

Reaction score
I've been searching on this issue for a while, and I wanted to see if anyone else was having similar issues and/or if there were any fixes.

Any time I open a particular Excel sheet (.xlsx format), I get the File Reservation window (the one that says "[This excel] is being modified by [Another User]. Open as Read-Only, or choose Notify to be alerted when it is available.")
The issue being that: *I* opened the file under that username, X days ago.
Some flag seems to be getting tripped that I can't remove, so Excel always thinks that this file is open and someone is editing it. This might not seem like a big problem, but the thing is I'm not the only one who can edit this file, so I can't just assume that no one has edited it since me, so any time I make changes, I have to save a new version. This amounts to many copies of this file, which is unnecessary and annoying to maintain.
Is anyone else seeing this issue? Is there a flag somewhere that I can remove?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
If it's only affecting this one file, it might be worth recreating the file and deleting the original. If it's affecting multiple files, then it might be a permissions issue with the directory itself.

Reaction score
False File Reservations Fix

If you open Terminal and go to the folder where the file is located, enter "ls -la" and you'll see that there is a file with the same filename preceded by a tilda and dollar sign"~$". Delete that file and your problem is solved.

Use the following: rm "~\$filename" to delete the file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.