Lion Location Services

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, Lion, 3.06 Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB DDR3
Hi all... I hope someone can help me with my Lion location services.

Can anyone tell me how to remove an app from location services. Example: I have an entry for iStumbler in location services, but iStumbler is no longer installed. Sure, I can un tick the box to allegedly stop location, but as I no longer have app installed I don't wish to see it in location services.

Additionally (see screenshot), the app has requested my location despite not being installed. In short, somewhere within the OS there must be a record. There is no installation removal provided by iStumbler author. From recollection I was asked if location services could be used when running app for the 1st time. I have searched high and low for an answer without any luck.

How do I get rid? Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

screen-capture.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Click the lock at the bottom of the dialog. Enter your admin password and the lock should open. Remove the entries you no longer want listed. Additionally, un-tick the boxes that you have checked off.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply, but this does not work. Admin password and unlock works fine, but cannot delete any entry, let alone iStumbler. I can un-tick the iStumbler app that is no longer installed, but as you can see from screen grab the app has requested my location in last 24 hours despite being un-selected.

Location services must be storing information somewhere. I just want to remove/delete iStumbler from location services. Padlock is open, I can highlight iStumbler, but cannot remove.

Any ideas?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The best I can suggest is to use Spotlight search or some other search engine and search for "iStumbler". You may be able to find out where it's storing that information. Or, search for "Location Services".

Another thing you can try is reinstall iStumbler then access its services from the iStumbler menu and remove location services.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again for the reply, but alas no fix as yet. I loaded up iStumbler again in the hope there was something within the app to remove it from location services, but without luck. No de-installation procedure either.

I have searched the entire HD for a file relating to the app, author etc, without luck. I suspect somewhere within OS there is an embedded string or text within a config file, cache, log, or something relating iStumbler. This reminds me of the bad old days of Windows Registry :)

Interestingly (see new screenshot), Location Services has a path to app in download folder were it was 1st launched. The download folder is empty (yes I have re-booted), and iStumbler has again been removed from machine. As above, I suspect that Lion Location Services has an entry somewhere within another file OS relating to app. Just can't find it.

While not end of the world, this has gotta be my toughest and most time consuming challenge yet within OS X.

Any other suggestions most welcomed.

screen-capture-1.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This one has me stumped also. I've got some excellent search tools and also a good file manager and have been unable to find where the location services are at.

What I suggest doing now is to contact the iStumbler author via email and see if he can help. The link which gives access to him is here.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, got me stumped too, but all the more determined to find out how location services is hooked to an app. Somewhere there has to be a pointer for locations services to operate.

As you suggest, I'll now drop the iStumbler author a note in the hope he can shed some light. Failing that I'll contact Apple, but they can sometimes be defensive around security/privacy services. We'll get there in the end :)

Will post update soon as I have one.

Reaction score
Same problem here

Hi all, I have the exact same problem as you guys, I hope there is an answer soon!

Screen Shot 2012-02-08 at 13.09.20.png

C

chas_m

Sorry, I don't see what the issue is?

There's no checkbox next to either app, meaning they CANNOT access location services. You can also uncheck the "Enable Location Services" checkbox entirely if you prefer.

All this panel is telling you is that you haven't uninstalled iStumbler, so it is still registered as a program that COULD use Location Services IF you check the box next to it.

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't see what the issue is?

There's no checkbox next to either app, meaning they CANNOT access location services. You can also uncheck the "Enable Location Services" checkbox entirely if you prefer.

All this panel is telling you is that you haven't uninstalled iStumbler, so it is still registered as a program that COULD use Location Services IF you check the box next to it.

The problem is that the app is uninstalled but there are still remnants in Location Services. Say you installed 10 apps that use Location Services, then you no longer wanted them, would you want those 10 apps to still appear in Location Services even though the app had already been uninstalled from OS X? There should be a simple delete function to remove the listing from the Location Services database. This was possible in 10.7 via the terminal commands found elsewhere, on the Apple communities, but 10.8 has made changes, therefore, there is no longer a way to remove these remnants.

It's no different then Notification Center. When you uninstall an app from 10.8, it's removed from the list of apps that can create an alert in the notification center. If it didn't remove the information from notification center, then the notifications preferences would become cluttered with remnants of old, uninstalled apps. Fortunately, uninstalling app that uses notifications, does remove the app's name from the notifications preferences.

All we want is the ability to be able to keep things clean and tidy. If the app has been uninstalled from the OS, then it should no longer show up in Location Services preferences.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.