Web programming / advanced site building?

M

MrPencil

I am interested in learning php/mysql. Can this be done on an apple computer? I want to create a website with forums, and have a real "fancy" appearance to it, with many functions and modules to it.

If this is possible how would I go about doing this? Is there a good book I can read to get me started? The only thing close to programming I know is html, and I have dabbeled a little bit with java years ago, so I am going to start this from a complete noob stand.

Also I heard that a php run site needs to be run from a computer that is always on. Is this true? Any answers, ideas, links, book titles, etc. I would greatly appreciate it alot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Wow hmm.. you have a lot to learn :) Let's see.. yes you can learn PHP/MySQL on a Mac. My whole business is based upon PHP and MySQL so I would give you a resounding yes on that :)

As for learning.. there are a lot of sites and books out there on PHP and MySQL so I would purchase a book. That is the way that I tought myself way long time ago :)

And as for php run site needs to be run from a computer that is always on.. it doesnt matter what type of site it is.. the computer needs to be on! Otherwise what computer are people going to access to get your site? A site is stored on a server.. people access that server to view your site.. if the server/computer is not on... they can't access it :)

Oh and titles hmmm.. books I like are PHP Developer's Cookbook, or MySQL / PHP Database Applications are just two of them. There are a lot out there, and those are old ones, but I do believe they have newer versions out there. Just go to Amazon.com and do a search for php and mysql and you'll find plenty :)

OP
M

MrPencil

Thank you for the reply and info murlyn. The two books you mentioned, are they good for the absolute noob/beginner? Also if I purchase webspace does that mean I don't have to leave my computer on all the time since it will be running on a server somewhere else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah they should be good for beginners and yeah if you purchase webspace then exactly, you do not need to leave your computer on all the time. I have a hosting company, so if you are interested and want to compare prices and service etc, I can PM you my contact info :)

OP
M

MartinAustin

Another good resource for 'noobs' is any of the titles from Wrox Publishing. It's been so long since I read those books that I don't know the titles, but I am sure they have a few on PHP, MySQL, or both in the same book for applications.

Good luck, it's a fun road!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.